Skip navigation links (access key: Z)Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives CanadaSymbol of the Government of Canada
Français - Version française de cette pageHome - The main page of the Institution's websiteContact Us - Institutional contact informationHelp - Information about using the institutional websiteSearch - Search the institutional websitecanada.gc.ca - Government of Canada website

Archived Content

This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.


Music Archives at the National Library of Canada

ARTS AND LETTERS CLUB OF TORONTO (1908-  )
MUS 210


Arts and Letters Club of Toronto fonds.  - 1908-1991.  - 35 cm of textual records.  - 2 photographs. 

Administrative history
Founded in 1908 by editor and arts critic Augustus Bridle, the Arts and Letters Club was a gathering place for professionals in the arts and for interested amateurs. After several moves, the Club finally established itself at St. George's Hall on Elm Street in 1919. It adopted a constitution (set to music by Healey Willan) in 1912 and was incorporated in 1920. Supporting and encouraging numerous artistic activities, the Club has hosted a variety of musical ensembles, such as the Hambourg Trio, the Academy String Quartet, the Adanac Quartet and the New World Chamber Orchestra.

Scope and content
The fonds consists of records illustrating the musical activities of the Club:  concert programmes; press clippings; Christmas music; records pertaining to members H. Willan and M. Adaskin:  biographical notes; correspondence; manuscripts and photocopies of The Chester Mysteries, the Arts and Letters Club Constitution (H. Willan) and the Algonquin Symphony (M. Adaskin); photographs of H. Willan. 

Immediate source of acquisition:  acquired from the Arts and Letters Club of Toronto, through Raymond Peringer, in 1992. 

Restrictions:  none. 

Finding aids:  provisional description. 



Proactive Disclosure