Skip navigation links (access key: Z)Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives CanadaSymbol of the Government of Canada
Français - Version française de cette pageHome - The main page of the Institution's websiteContact Us - Institutional contact informationHelp - Information about using the institutional websiteSearch - Search the institutional websitecanada.gc.ca - Government of Canada website

Archived Content

This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.


Music Archives at the National Library of Canada

COMPO COMPANY LTD.  (1918-1950)
MUS 16


Compo Company Ltd.  fonds.  - 1922-1972.  - 1.10 m of textual records.  - ca. 900 audio discs. 

Administrative history
Operator of the first independent Canadian disc-pressing plant, the Compo Company was founded in Lachine, Quebec by Herbert S. Berliner, then vice-president and general manager of the Berliner Gram-O-Phone Co.  In 1950 the company was bought by Decca, which in turn sold it to MCA Records after some fifteen years.  The Compo labels remained on the market until 1971; the Lachine pressing plant closed its doors in the early 1970s. 

Scope and content
The fonds includes operational records of the Compo Company and its successive buyers, Decca and MCA Records (Lachine plant):  ledgers of recordings (1922-49); ledgers of sound tests (1924-25); press releases (1966) and lists of commercial recordings and stampers; sound recordings of Canadian performers, mainly in the popular field. 

Immediate source of acquisition:  acquired from MCA Records (Canada), through M.R.A. Chislett, in 1971. 

Restrictions:  none. 

Finding aids:  numerical list. 



Proactive Disclosure