Skip navigation links (access key: Z)Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives CanadaSymbol of the Government of Canada
Français - Version française de cette pageHome - The main page of the Institution's websiteContact Us - Institutional contact informationHelp - Information about using the institutional websiteSearch - Search the institutional websitecanada.gc.ca - Government of Canada website

Archived Content

This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.


Music Archives at the National Library of Canada

TORONTO HELICONIAN CLUB (1909- )
MUS 244


Toronto Heliconian Club fonds.  - 1909-1991.  - 5 cm of textual records.  - 1 photograph. 

Administrative history
Founded on the initiative of Toronto Conservatory of Music singing teacher Mary Hewitt Smart, the Toronto Heliconian Club is a group of women working in arts and letters. In 1923, the Club purchased a Victorian building in Yorkville, then close to Toronto, and baptised it Heliconian Hall. The building is now a historic site. A number of celebrities have enjoyed the Club's hospitality, including Lotte Lehman, Dame Nellie Melba, Gertrude Lawrence, Percy Grainger, members of the Brussels Opera Company, Edward Johnson and Mazo de la Roche.

Scope and content
The fond consists of records pertaining to the activities of the Toronto Heliconian Club.  It contains, among other items, a brief history of the organization; material regarding the Edinburgh Festival; musical manuscripts by Mary B. Piersol, Leo Smith and Jean Atkinson; and a photograph of Victor Barbeau. 

Immediate source of acquisition:  acquired from the organization in 1993. 

Restrictions:  none. 

Finding aids:  provisional description. 



Proactive Disclosure