This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
What was Canada like during the time of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR)?
What were the main events of the rise and fall of the GTPR?
1. Read the following Speeches from the Throne, as they appeared in the Canada Gazette.
(Page 1-4 [PDF 1,847 KB])
(Page 1-4 [PDF 1,643 KB])
(Page 611-612 [PDF 688 KB])
(Page 1454-1455 [PDF 1,110 KB])
2. On a separate page, compare the economic, social and political events that were indicated in each speech. The timeline below is a suggestion of how the speeches may be classified.
3. As you compare the different events of each year, what observations can you make? What are the main events that occur during that period?
4. What was happening to the GTPR at the same time? Add the main events that mark the rise and fall of the GTPR to your timeline. Add additional dates as necessary. Use the sites listed in Activity Resources to help you with your search.
5. What overlap do you notice? Is there a relationship between the economic, social, and political events in Canada in 1903, 1909, and 1919 and the GTPR?