University of King's College, Library
Christianity; Theology, Doctrinal; Anglican Communion
The Kingdon Library was the private library of the second Bishop of Fredericton, New Brunswick, Hollingworth Tully Kingdon. In 1907 it was regarded as the best Anglican theological library in private hands in Canada. Bishop Hollingworth Tully Kingdon donated his library to Trinity Church of Saint John, New Brunswick. The collection was established at King's College in 1985.
The collection contains works on doctrinal theology, patristic and mediaeval dogmatics, and liturgics. It includes mid to late nineteenth century Anglican pamphlets, as well as sixteenth and seventeenth century folios and several incunabula. The Kingdon Library is a notable example of the library of a Tractarian theologian. The collection is preserved in its original form and is not being developed further.
English, French, Latin, and Greek.
Approximately 2,500 monographs.
The collection is catalogued. LC subject headings and classification are used. There is also a separate shelf list. The holdings are recorded in the Nova Scotia Union Catalogue, the National Library Union Catalogue, ESTC and Novanet.
The collection is in a special collections area which is open to the public. For further information visit: http://www.ukings.ns.ca/kings_3459.html.
Interlibrary Loan: No.
Reprography: As the condition of the material warrants.
Reference Assistance: Yes.
Publications Describing Collection
None at present.