History of Veterinary Sciences Collection|
University of Guelph, McLaughlin Library
The collection began in 1862 with the establishment of the Ontario Veterinary College in Toronto. The College, with its library, moved to Guelph in 1922. The Library of the Ontario Veterinary College is now called the Veterinary Science Section of the university library.
The collection consists of a large assemblage of veterinary and medical journals as well as a substantial collection of monographs, reference material, and government documents on veterinary and comparative medicine. It also includes some historical monographs and part of the collection of Dr. J.G. Rutherford, Canada's first Veterinary Director General (1902-1912). Theses are included selectively.
English and selected non-English material.
3,000 monographs; 25 serials; 6 serials currently received; 20 microforms; 10 films; 1,500 picture files; 10 metres of manuscripts and ephemera; artifacts housed in the Ontario Veterinary College Museum (medical instruments, horse brasses, etc.).
The collection is catalogued. LC subject headings are used. The material is classified using LC classification, CODOC or the Guelph Archival System. The holdings are accessible through CD-ROM, local dial-up, or iNET.
The collection is open to the public. For further information visit: http://www.lib.uoguelph.ca/resources/archives/.
Interlibrary Loan: Available except for rare and archival material.
Reference Assistance: Yes.
Publications Describing Collection
Hull, David. -- "The Veterinary Science Division". -- Guide to special collections. -- Guelph, Ont. : University of Guelph Library, 1979.