Queen's University, Douglas Library, W.D. Jordan Special Collections and Music Library
Telecommunications (telegraph, telephony, radio communications)
The collection was established in 1942. It consists of the personal library of Donald McNicol (1875-1953), President of the Institute of Radio Engineers, editor of Telegraph and telephone age, and lecturer at Yale and Columbia universities. The collection predates and complements the Riche-Covington Collection .
The collection includes historical literature and material on communications practice of the day. The material relates to the electric telegraph, electric telephone, wireless telegraph, wireless telephone, radio and television. The collection includes correspondence, newspapers, technical reports, journal issues, and books gathered by McNicol. The emphasis of the collection is on the United States from 1850 to 1942. Some new historical works on related subjects are purchased at present.
629 monographs; 1,158 items in 160 pamphlet cases (includes scrapbooks containing clippings, photographs, pamphlets, and letters). Supplementary material to support this collection will be found in the main stacks collection.
Only monographs have been catalogued. In addition to the current on-line catalogue, a separate printed catalogue is available (see below). Uncatalogued materials are accessible. LC subject headings and classification are used. Items catalogued before June 1980 and after February 1990 are recorded in the National Library Union Catalogue. Special indexes and/or bibliographies include "Imprint" files.
The collection is open to the public. For further information visit: http://library.queensu.ca/webmus/sc/menu.htm.
Interlibrary Loan: At the discretion of the curator.
Reprography: As the condition of the material warrants.
Reference Assistance: Yes.
Publications Describing Collection
Catalogue of the McNicol Collection of books on telegraphy, telephony and radio contained in the Douglas Library, Queen's University. -- Kingston, Ont. : Queen's University, Douglas Library, 1942.