This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Intermediate Level (Grades 6 to 8/Secondary I and II)
I. Images from the past: the raid on Dieppe
Individually, or in groups of two, students examine photographs or view German and Canadian newsreels.
II. Oral presentation
Each student or group will be asked to present answers to the following questions:
- Is there someone in your family who fought in the Second World War?
- Do you know someone who is currently a member of the Canadian Armed Forces?
- In your opinion, why do countries go to war?
- Why is Remembrance Day important?
After examining the photographs and viewing the films, students are asked to write a half page composition on one of the following scenarios:
- How would you feel if you were a Canadian soldier who had participated in the raid on Dieppe?
- Write a letter to your fiancé(e) or to your mother describing your feelings after the raid on Dieppe.