This archived Web page remains online for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated. Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats of this page on the Contact Us page.
Handout 1.1 – Who Were the Key Players?
- With a partner or on your own, pick four people or organizations from the list below:
- Your choices:
- Black Loyalist
- Sir James Douglas
- Sylvia Stark
- Mary Ann Shadd Cary
- Green Thurman
- William King
- Other options to research when using outside sources:
- Provincial Freeman
- Anti-Slavery Society
- The Globe
- Mifflin Gibbs
- Look up each of the four research subjects on Library and Archives Canada's Under a Northern Star website. You may also use online search engines, or explore the sites in Activity Resources. Use the suggested names as key-word searches.
- For each person or organization, answer the questions below. Write the answers for each subject on chart paper for the rest of the class to use as a reference for the next activities.
Questions to answer for each choice:
- Who or what organization did you choose?
- What happened to this person or organization that showed there was a need for social change?
- What did this person or organization do to cause social change?
- Were they successful in causing social change? Why or why not?
Previous | Next