To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Sub-series part of
1835-1930, microfilmed [ca. 1948-1970]
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
0.50 m of textual records
Language of material
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of land records related to the Hudson's Bay Company. When Rupert's Land was surrendered to the Dominion of Canada on 15 July, 1869, the Hudson's Bay Company received 300,000, certain lands around its 97 trading posts, and one twentieth of all the lands bounded "on the south by the United States boundary, on the west by the Rocky Mountains, on the north by the north branch of the Saskatchewan River, on the east by Lake Winnipeg, Lake of the Woods and the waters connecting them". In more practical terms, this meant that sections eight and twenty-six in every fifth township (namely, townships five, ten, fifteen, etc.) and sections eight and the south half and the northwest quarter of section twenty-six in all the other townships were reserved for the exclusive use of the Company (Vic., c. 20, s. 44, 1908). These lands, which amounted to some 2.8 million hectares, were known as Hudson's Bay Company Lands. The Company was given a 50-year period, in which it would be free to dispose of these lands, at its pleasure.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
- Date modified: