To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
Scope and content
Item is a diary of [R. Kay's] round trip from Yorkshire to Canada West via New York, 15 April - 29 July 1845. Included are detailed accounts of the voyage across the Atlantic from Liverpool, and of the overland journey by river boat and railway. There are also careful descriptions of agricultural conditions, mainly for the townships of Clarke and Nelson, relating to soil, crops, stock, wages, prices, pests, and markets, as well as notes of the writer's conclusions on the feasibility of immigration and the areas best suited to an English farmer of moderate capital.
No finding aid
Biography / Administrative history
R. Kay appears to have been a Yorkshire farmer of moderate capital, who visited Canada West in the early summer of 1845, in order to investigate the feasibility of immigration.
1. R. Kay - Journeys, 1845 Yorkshire (England), 1845.
2. R. Kay - Diaries, 1845 New York (N.Y.), 1845.
3. Canada West - Emigration and immigration, 1845.
4. New York (N.Y.) - Description and travel, 1845.
5. Yorkshire (England) - Description and travel, 1845.
6. Liverpool (England) - Description and travel, 1845.
7. Ship - Voyage and travel, 1845.
8. Clarke (Ont.:Township) - Agriculture.
9. Nelson (Ont.:Township) - Agriculture, 1845.
10. Farming - Upper Canada, 1845.
Other system control no.
- Date modified: