To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
19 microfilm reels.
4 audio reels (ca. 2 h, 30 min).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of the records of the Japanese Canadian Citizens Association and it predecessors and documents the business operations as well as the activities of the Association especially in the field of evacuation claims. In addition to the Association's financial records and the records of its Executive Council, fonds also includes briefs submitted to the Federal Government of Canada and the Provincial Government of British Columbia concerning discrimination against Japanese Canadians. Fonds also includes case files of individuals who sought re-entry into Canada after the Second World War, literature on various conferences and correspondence with the Japanese American Citizens League and other similar organizations concerned with civil rights. Fonds includes an account of a pilgrimage of Issei veterans to the unveiling of the Vimy Memorial in 1936 and historical notes and clippings used by Ken Adachi in writing his book The Enemy that Never Was - A History of the Japanese Canadians; and consists of various published sources, n.d., 1884-1975. The fonds also includes microfilmed copies of the first 17 containers of textual records, reels C-12818 to C-12836. This material includes correspondence, financial records, forms, minutes and printed material relating to the activities of the Japanese Canadian Citizens' Association, 1942-1953. Fonds also includes sound recordings relating to Japanese-Canadian activities in Canada and the Japanese Canadian Citizens Association History Project, 1960-1964.
Microfilm reel C-12836
Microfilm reel C-12831
Microfilm reel C-12820
Microfilm reel C-12833
Microfilm reel C-12835
Microfilm reel C-12834
Microfilm reel C-12825
Microfilm reel C-12829
Microfilm reel C-12832
Microfilm reel C-12830
Microfilm reel C-12818
Microfilm reel C-12827
Microfilm reel C-12822
Microfilm reel C-12819
Microfilm reel C-12821
Microfilm reel C-12824
Microfilm reel C-12826
Microfilm reel C-12828
Microfilm reel C-12823
from C-12818 to C-12835
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holder.
Textual records The finding aid is a file list and a microfilm conversion list. MSS1281 66 (Paper)
Textual records Finding aid. MSS1281 90 (Electronic)
Sound recordings The finding aid is a PDF copy of a typewritten list. 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The Japanese Canadian Citizens Association (J.C.C.A.) was formed in 1947 to act as a national organization for Japanese Canadians. Its first major function was to assist claimants before the Royal Commission of Japanese Property losses (Bird Commission). The J.C.C.A. was also in the forefront of the successful post-war struggle against discriminatory legislation. Because of a change in the organization's structure in 1953 most of the records in this collection are from the early period of its activity.
The records in this collection are essential for the study of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War and its aftermath. The evacuation of Japanese Canadians from the "protected area" of British Columbia in 1942 led to the destruction of most archival material pre-dating 1941. Although much of the material in the collection relates to the issue of property losses which provided the impetus for a national organization in 1947, there are many other subjects covered by these files. The rebuilding of an ethno-cultural community, the struggle for basic civil rights and the activities of a national ethnic organization are all well documented.
Availability of other formats note
1. Japanese Canadians - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975 Japanese Canadian Citizens League, 1936-1940.
2. Japanese - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975 Vancouver (B.C.), 1936-1940.
3. Japanese Canadians - British Columbia, [n.d., 1884-1975] Japanese Canadian Citizens Council, 1942.
4. Japanese Canadians - Civil rights, [n.d., 1884-1975] British Columbia Japanese Canadian Citizens Association, 1946-1948.
5. Japanese Canadians - Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945, [1922-1975] Co-operative Committee on Japanese Canadians, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954]
6. Japanese Canadians - Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945 - Legal cases, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954 Fishing Vessel Disposal Committee, [1922-1932, 1942-1954]
7. Japanese Canadians - Societies, etc., [n.d., 1884-1975] Japan, 1947-1958.
8. Japanese - British Columbia, [n.d., 1884-1975] Japanese American Citizens League, 1947-1950, 1960.
9. Civil rights - Canada, [n.d., 1884-1975] Mike Masaoka, 1947.
10. Japanese Canadian Citizens Association - Finance, 1943-1953, 1963 Toronto (Ont.), 1947.
11. Japanese Canadians - Claims, 1922-1932, [1942-1975] Canada. Parliament. Senate Committee on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, [1947-1951, 1969]
12. Civil rights movements - Canada, [1922-1975] G. Tanaka,1969.
13. Right of property - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954 British Columbia United Fishermen and Allied Workers Convention, 1969.
14. Canada - Ethnic relations, [n.d., 1884-1975] "Call My People Home", [n.d., 1950-1953]
15. Japanese Canadians - Legal status, laws, etc., 1936, 1948-1953 "Minority Groups vs. Canadian Public - A Mock Trial", [n.d., 1950-1953]
16. Property - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954 Pattie Tanner, [n.d., 1950-1953]
17. Repossession - Canada, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954] Nipponia Home (Beamsvill, Ont.), [1947-1958]
18. Fish and game licences - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942-1950 Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (Vancouver, B.C.), [1947-1958]
19. Fishing vessels - British Columbia, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954] Issei, 1936.
20. British Columbia - Politics and government, 1948-1953 Vimy Memorial (France), 1936.
21. Administrative agencies - Canada, 1948-1953 New Canadian, 1958.
22. Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1947-1958 Nisei Affairs, [n.d., 1936, 1945-1949]
23. Japan - Emigration and immigration, 1947-1958 Quebec Directory, 1949.
24. Japanese Americans - Civil rights, 1947-1950, 1960 Judge Helen G. McGill, 1936.
25. Japanese Americans - Societies, etc., 1947-1950, 1960 "The Oriental Delinquent in the Vancouver Juvenile Court",1936.
26. Government investigations - Canada, 1947-1951, 1969 Ken Adachi, n.d., 1884-1975.
27. Human rights - Canada, 1947-1951, 1969 The Enemy that Never Was - A History of the Japanese Canadians, [n.d., 1884-1975]
28. Canada. Parliament. Senate - Committees, 1947-1951, 1969 National Japanese Canadian Citizens Association, [n.d., 1884-1975]
29. Minorities - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975] Canada. Department of the Secretary of State, [n.d., 1884-1975]
30. Japanese Canadians - Political activity, 1947-1975 Canadian Citizenship Council, [n.d., 1884-1975]
31. Dorothy Livesay - Poetry, [n.d., 1950-1953] Canadian Ethnic Studies Association, [n.d., 1884-1975]
32. Canadian drama (English), [n.d., 1950-1953]
33. Minorities - Legal status, laws, etc. - Canada, 1936, 1947-1953, 1969.
34. World War I - Veterans, 1936.
35. Contests - Canada, 1958.
36. Vancouver (B.C.) - Juvenile courts, 1936.
37. Authors, Japanese Canadian, [n.d., 1884-1975]
38. Ken Adachi - Authorship, [n.d., 1884-1975]
39. Oral history, [n.d., 1884-1975]
40. Juvenile courts - British Columbia, 1936.
41. World War II - Internment operations - Canada, [1942-1975]
42. Shinobu, Saburo, ca. 1936.
43. Politics and government Canada
44. Politique et gouvernement Canada
45. Vimy Ridge, Battle of, France, 1917.
46. Vimy, Bataille de, 1917.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
- Date modified: