To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
3 cm of textual records.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of photographs depicting various views in Canada and the United States, ca. 1908-1910. The fonds also contains Janet Hall's diary, original; and a thesis entitled "The Diary of Janet Hall, 1876-1882", written by Kobus de Boer, photocopy.
Photographs: No donor restrictions.Copyright expired.Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Biography / Administrative history
Janet Anna Hall, born in 1857 at Perth, Ont., was the daughter of Mary Workman Hall and Francis Gemmill Hall. Her mother's family the Workmans, were Irish Protestants who had immigrated to the Canadas in several stages during the period 1819-1829. The family was prominent in mercantile, political, and social circles in Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. Mary Workman Hall's parents, Alexander and Mary Workman, had moved to Ottawa from Montreal in 1845 and three years later opened a hardware store in partnership with Edward Griffin.
Following the death of her father in 1857, Janet Hall, her mother and her sister moved to Ottawa to live with her maternal grandparents. Janet Hall lived the rest of her life there. She never married and, as her 1933 obituary noted, was "a lady of quiet retiring nature, but ... well known and held in high esteem by a select circle of close friends in the city."
Janet Hall's diary was received in 1969 from Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Forbes of__
Ottawa through Mrs. Joan Mooney. The thesis, "The Diary of Janet Hall,
1876-1882" was received in 1983 from the author, Kobus de Boer, Amsterdam,
Netherlands. Photographs acquired in 1974 and 1984.
1. Janet Anna Hall - Diaries, 1876-1882 Alexander Workman, [1876-1882]
2. Janet Anna Hall - Autobiography, 1876-1882 Mary Workman, [1876-1882]
3. Workman family - Genealogy, 1983 Mary Workman Hall, [1876-1882]
4. Dissertations, Academic - Netherlands, 1983 "The Diary of Janet Hall, 1876-1882", 1983.
5. Vriji Universiteit - Dissertations, Academic, 1983 Kobus de Boer, 1983.
6. Ottawa (Ont.) - History, 1876-1882.
7. Ottawa (Ont.) - Social life and customs, 1876-1882.
8. Gossip, 1876-1882.
9. Politics and government Canada
10. Politique et gouvernement Canada
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1974-451 NPC
2. 1984-186 NPC
- Date modified: