To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Fonds consists of
Place of creation
815 photographs b&w.
Language of material
Scope and content
Fonds consists of scrapbooks, 1890-1959; clippings, 1932-1966; annual reports and programme books, 1907-1960; genealogical material, 1748-1970, and related material, 1864-1968. The fonds also contains photographs showing J.G. Gaudaur winning a world rowing championship, London, England, 1896; celebration of the relief of Ladysmith, Orillia, Ont., 1900; Orillia, Barrie, Lake Couchiching, Ont., Dawson, Yukon; group shots of orchestra, hockey, and lacrosse teams, Orillia, Ont., 1895-1896; University of Toronto Lacrosse Team, 1902; Canadian Lacrosse teams of 1902 and 1907; members of the Curran family; and yachting and curling scenes, 1886-ca. 1937. There are also photographs of the mining boom at Cobalt, Ont., 1905; and members of the Curran family, ca. 1855-ca. 1926.
Conditions of access
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Copyright expired. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
Textual records The finding aid is a descriptive file list of the textual records, volumes 1 to 5. MSS0864 90 (Electronic)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
John E.G. Curran, sportsman, was born in 1874 at Toronto, Ont., and moved to Orillia, Ont. with his family at an early age. He was a member of the Orillia Lacrosse team that won both the Ontario intermediate and senior championships in 1898 and a member of the intermediate championship team of 1904. In 1902 he was with the Toronto Lacrosse team that played exhibition games throughout England and Ireland and, in 1907, played with the All-Ontario team that toured Australia. Active in the Orillia Curling Club, he was a member of the rink that won the Governor General's Cup. He was a member of the first Orillia Hockey team organized in 1895 and played for many years in the Northern League and the Ontario Hockey Association. A keen yachtsman and canoeist, he was long associated with the Orillia Yacht Club.
1. Scrapbooks - Canada, [1890-1959]
2. Jake Gaudaur, [1932-1960]
3. Lacrosse - Canada, [1890-1959]
4. Walter Knox, [1932-1966]
5. Sports - Canada, [1890-1959]
6. Jake Gaudaur, [1932-1966]
7. Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.), [1932-1960]
8. Manual for Female Servants, 1867.
9. Ontario Curling Club - Records and correspondence, [1907-1960]
10. Cummicants Manual, 1883.
11. Jennie Curran - Diaries, [1870-1914]
12. The Varsity, 1908.
13. Orillia Mechanics Institute - Minutes, [1864-1972]
14. The Certitude of Probability, [1950-1968]
15. Orillia Curling Club - Records and correspondence, [1907-1960]
16. "The Theory of Absolute Relativity", [1950-1968]
17. John Curtis - Will, 1748
18. E. D. Curran, [1950-1968]
19. Evan Evans - Will, 1812.
20. Curran family - Genealogy, [1748-1970]
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1973-085 NPC
2. 1973-179 NPC
- Date modified: