To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
1. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
2. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
3. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
4. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
5. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
6. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
7. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
8. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
9. James Francis Kenney collection [graphic material]
10. Dr. Kenney collection [graphic material]
Place of creation
42 photographs b&w.
2 paintings oil.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of addresses, 1934-1945; book reviews, 1918-1939; correspondence, 1901-1945; publications, 1831-1949; manuscripts, 1906-1945; research notes, 1820-1945; diaries, 1903-1914, 1927. Fonds contains photographs of staff and events at the Public Archives of Canada, Ottawa, Ont.; Fort Prince of Wales, Man.; Belfast, Northern Ireland; Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.; models of cities and towns in the Holy Land; photos of Dr. Kenney; the return of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, March 1919, Ottawa, Ont.; unveiling of statue of Queen Victoria on Parliament Hill, Ottawa, Ont, 1901; banquet of the American Archivists, Mayflower Hotel, Washington. D.C., 18 June 1937; a view of the Victoria Memorial Museum, Ottawa, Ont. 1901-1937. Fonds also contains one painting by Homer Ransford Watson entitled "Ice Jam at Doon, Ontario"; and a painting entitled "Galt"[Ontario].
Copy negative C-102582
Copy negative C-102581
Copy negative PA-66691
Copy negative PA-99796
from 8 to 9
Photographs: No restrictions except on photo of Simcoe where access is to be determined. Various copyright. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no. Paintings: No restrictions. Copyright expired; Crown copyright on reproductions. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Textual records The finding aid is a list of file titles with brief descriptions of contents. MSS1231 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
James Francis Kenney, archivist, author, and historian, was born in 1884 at Marysville, Ont. and educated in the Belleville, Ontario public school system. He graduated from the University of Toronto with a B.A. in 1907 and from the University of Wisconsin with an M.A. in 1908. He obtained a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1929 after completion of the thesis The Sources for the Early History of Ireland. Dr. Kenney came on staff at the Public Archives in 1912. In 1926 he became Director of Historical Research and Publicity at the Archives and he served as Acting Dominion Archivist from 1935 to 1937.
Dr. Kenney died at his home in Ottawa on 4 June 1946. A further source of biographical information is an obituary written by A.L. Burt on Dr. Kenney for the Canadian Historical Review XXVII (December, 1946), p. 463.
1. Speeches, addresses, etc, Canadian, 1934-1945 Irish Historical Society (Canada), 1934-1945.
2. Irish - Canada, 1903-1945 Senator Charles Murphy, 1901-1945.
3. Catholic Church - Canada, 1903-1945 "The Decline of the Celtic Church in Ireland 1795-1152", 1908.
4. Catholic Church - Ireland, 1903-1945 Sources for the Early History of Ireland, 1930.
5. Celtic Church, 947-1152 Grosse Isle (Quebec), 1847.
6. Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1820-1945.
7. Cholera - Canada, 1847.
8. Kennedy family, 1903-1935.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1937-139 PIC
2. 1937-140 PIC
3. 1937-151 NPC
4. 1937-152 NPC
5. 1937-155 NPC
6. 1937-158 NPC
7. 1937-161 NPC
8. 1937-273 NPC
9. 1980-138 NPC
10. 1984-256 NPC
- Date modified: