To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
Collection consists of
1. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
2. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
3. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
4. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
5. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
6. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
7. Howard Morton Brown collection [graphic material]
Place of creation
14 reproductions : photogravures.
239 photographs : b&w prints.
Scope and content
Collection consists of research notes, manuscript and typewritten and newspaper cuttings collected by Howard M. Brown, 1954-1975, compiled in three volumes, 1975. They deal with many aspects of the local history of Lanark County, Ontario, with special emphasis on the townships of Beckwith and Ramsay and the towns of Carleton Place and Almonte. This material is located on microfilm reels M-4624. The art material consists of fourteen photogravures from a booklet of views of Victoria, B.C. and vicinity, including buildings, streets, groups (including aboriginal groups), and activities. Collection consists of photographs of Carleton Place, Ontario and members of the Carleton Place community including John Gillies; Lieutenant-Colonel Joseph Mckay; and James C. Poole; Abner Nichol's camp and a hotel bus; the Carleton Place Canoe Club and sporting events; curling bonspiel champions, 1896-1897; girls camp club; Orange Lodge Parade; school groups; Ancient Order of United Workmen; trade processions; firefighters; a C.P.R. passenger train crossing the Mississippi River; a Zion church choir excursion and picnic, 1885, Mississippi Lake and other activities at Mississippi Lake, ca. 1892-1895. Also included are photographic views of the Normal School, Woodstock, Ontario, ca. 1887; Prescott, Ontario; Brockville, Ontario; Winnipeg, Manitoba; St. Andrews Lock and Dam; Bates & Innis Dam; as well as members of the Brown family, including Captain Arthur Roy Brown, D.S.C. Photos by William H. Hooper; J.H. Clarke; Bailey Brothers; A. Brock & Co.; Stead Photo; Ellisson & Co.; J.L. Jones; C. Lawes; C.M. Martin; A.W. Ferguson; A.C. McIntyre; A.P. Sweet; J.L. Livernois; Henry, L.M. Picard; James Inglis; E. Spencer; Thomas Connon Doane; Desmarais & Cie; Sheldon & Davis; J.F. Bradley; R.G. Moles; E. Morrisson; G.B. Murray; M.L. Kilborne; Miss A. Lockwood; J. Dynes; Fraser's Photographic Gallery; Au Soleil d'or (Que.); William Webb; T. Castonguay; Dynes & Hawksett; Hélène Fortin; William & George McComb; S.M. Switzer; J.M. Burgess, Almonte, Ont.; G.E. Willis; and C.C. Pelton, Carleton Place, Ont.
Microfilm reel M-4624
Textual records The finding aid contains a table of contents for this collection. MSS0668 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
Howard Morton Brown (fl. 1954-1984) is an Ottawa antiquary who contributes articles on local history to a number of newspapers.
Location of originals note
1. Lanark County (Ont.) - History, 1815-1975.
2. Beckwith (Ont.:Township) - History, [1815-1975]
3. Ramsay (Ont.:Township) - History, [1815-1975]
4. Carleton Place (Ont.) - History, [1815-1975]
5. Almonte (Ont.) - History, [1815-1975]
6. Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) - Collectors and collecting - Ontario, 1815-1975.
7. Howard Morton Brown - Authorship, 1815-1975.
8. Ontario - History, Local, 1815-1975.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1956-012 DAP
2. 1957-006 NPC
3. 1957-085 NPC
4. 1958-013 NPC
5. 1959-010 NPC
6. 1969-054 NPC
7. 1969-055 NPC
- Date modified: