To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
0.3 cm of textual records (9 p.).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of microfilm copy of diaries, 1916-1921, during Devonshire's term as Governor General of Canada. They provide a factual account of the daily official and personal activities of the Duke together with some comment upon the events and political figures of the period such as Borden and members of his cabinet. This material is located on microfilm reels A-653 and A-654. Fonds also consists of addresses, in horizontal storage, from the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, 1917 and 1918 (vols. 1 and 2) and from the House of Commons (vols. 3 to 9) to the Duke of Devonshire 1917 to 1919.
Microfilm reel A-653
Microfilm reel A-654
from A-653 to A-654
from 1 to 9
No finding aid
Biography / Administrative history
The 9th Duke of Devonshire was the 11th Governor General of Canada, 3 January 1916 to 16 October 1921. He received his education from Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge and enjoyed a political career as a Liberal Unionist, 1891 to 1908, in Great Britain. On his return to England he became Secretary of the Colonies.
See also: Cowan, J., Canada's Governors General, (Toronto: York Publishing Co., Limited, 1965).
1. Duke of Devonshire, Victor Christian William Cavendish - Diaries, 1916-1921.
2. Canada - Social life and customs, [1916-1921]
3. Governor general - Canada - Diaries, 1916-1921.
4. Politics and government Canada
5. Politique et gouvernement Canada
6. Canada. Parliament. House of Commons.
7. Canada. Parlement. Chambre des communes .
8. Politicians Canada.
9. Hommes politiques Canada.
10. Borden, Robert Laird, Sir, 1854-1937.
Other system control no.
- Date modified: