To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
1 microfilm reel negative and positive.
175 photographs chiefly b&w.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of general correspondence, 1879-1925, and photocopy, 1925; semi-official correspondence, 1896-1925; registers, indexes, and letterbooks, 1896-1925; diaries, general and special, 1886-1908; manuscript of memoirs on microfilm, 1854-1926, reel M-585; subject files, 1881-1921; Macdonald, biography and estate, 1891-1922; Under-Secretary of State, and Under-Secretary of State for External Affairs, 1852-1926. The fonds also contains photographs associated with Joseph Pope's career including photos of the visit to Canada of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, 1901; photos of a visit by the Duke of Connaught, and two photographs of an illuminated address of the Federation of Daughters of the British Empire and an illuminated address of the Chinese Merchants of Vancouver, 1901.
Photographs of illuminated manuscripts m
ust be consulted under close supervision for conservation reasons.
Microfilm reel M-585
from 1 to 136
Photographs: No restrictions. Copyright expired. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Textual records The finding aid contains a list of correspondents in volumes 1 and 2. In addition, there is information regarding diaries (vols. 1886-1926), memoirs (microfilm reel M-585), subject files, 1881-1921, (vols. 49-97); the Royal Tour of 1906 (vols. 85-90); a list of State Papers, 1534-1900, (vols. 91-96); the Macdonald biography, 1892-1914, (vols. 98-105); the Macdonald estate, 1891-1922, (vols. 106-113); Under-Secretary of State and Under-Secretary of State for External Affairs, 1852-1926, (vols. 114-135).
There is also a description of the semi-official correspondence, 1896-1925 (vols. 3-31). MSS0125 90 (Electronic)
Photographs: See"Photographic inventories, indexes, and caption lists arranged by accession number". FA-500 (Paper)
Biography / Administrative history
Sir Joseph Pope, born in 1854 at Charlottetown, P.E.I., had a banking career, 1870 to 1878, prior to entering the civil service in 1878. In 1882 he became Private Secretary to Sir John A. Macdonald until 1891. He was appointed Sir John A's literary executor in 1891 and later became his biographer. In 1896, he was appointed Under-Secretary of State and Deputy Registrar-General of Canada. He became the first Under Secretary of State for External Affairs in 1909 and continued in this capacity until his retirement in 1925.
He published, Memoirs of the Right Honourable Sir John A. Macdonald, (2 volumes, 1894), The Day of Sir John A. Macdonald, (1915), and edited Macdonald's Correspondence, (1921).
See also: The Canadian Who's Who, 1910 and Encyclopedia Canadiana.
Location of originals note
1. Canada - Officials and employees, 1854-1926 England, 1899.
2. Joseph Pope - Diaries, 1886-1908 Maurice Pope [1854-1926]
3. Royal visitors - Canada, 1886-1908 Bering Sea Tribunal of Arbitration, [1881-1921]
4. Royal tours - Canada, 1886-1908 Sir John A. Macdonald, 1847-1891.
5. Joseph Pope - Manuscripts, 1854-1926 Memoirs of Sir John A. Macdonald, 1894.
6. Alaska - Boundaries - Canada, [181-1921] International Joint High Commission, [1881-1921]
7. Bering Sea controversy, [1881-1921]
8. International Joint High Commission [1881-1921]
9. Labrador - Expedition, [1881-1921]
10. John A. Macdonald - Estate, 1891-1922.
11. Canada - Foreign relations, 1852-1926.
12. Politics - Canada, 1854-1926.
13. Politicans - Canada, 1854-1926.
14. Politics and government. Canada
15. Politique et gouvernement . Canada
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1965-007 NPC
2. 1966-102 NPC
3. 1982-185 PIC
- Date modified: