To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
4 microfilm reels negative and positive.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of general correspondence, correspondence, letterbooks, notebooks, Report of a Commission Investigating the Canadian Northern Railway, memoranda and notes, memorandum on Senate appointments, and correspondence and family papers.
Microfilm reel M-199
Microfilm reel M-474
Microfilm reel M-197
Microfilm reel M-198
Microfilm reel C-2054
from 1 to 18
from M-197 to M-199
Volumes 1-9 and 18 have been withdrawn from circulation. Researchers must use the replacement photocopies (vols 19-26) and microfilm (M-474).
Textual records: The finding aid can be used to search the records in four series: the General correspondence series; the Correspondence series; the Memoranda and notes series; and the Correspondence and family papers series. See each series for individual details. An un-revised version of finding aid is available on microfilm reel C-2054. MSS0108 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
Prime Minister of Canada
Alexander Mackenzie was born in Scotland and was a stone mason when he emigrated to Canada in 1842. By 1850 he became an active supporter of George Brown and Secretary of the Lambton Reform Committee. For two years, 1852-1854, he was editor of a Reform newspaper, the Lambton Shield. He was first elected to the Legislative Assembly in 1861. He was elected to the House of Commons in the first federal election in 1867 and he remained a Member of the Commons until his death in 1892. He was Prime Minister of Canada and Minister of Public Works, 1873-1878. After the defeat of his government he continued to lead the Liberal party until ill health forced him to resign from that post in 1880. Mackenzie was married twice and was survived by one daughter.
1. Trusts and trustees - Canada, 1875 Rockwood Asylum, 1875.
2. Hudson's Bay Company - Lands, 1867-1878 James Conacher, Baron Bailie, 1875.
3. Canada - Commerce, 1867-1878 Dunkeld (Scotland), 1875.
4. Railroads - Canada, [1842-1892] George Brown, [1858-1867]
5. Prime ministers - Canada - Family, [1776-1888] Canadian Northern Railway, 1876.
6. Prime ministers - Canada - Staff, 1874-1878 W.L. Mackenzie, 1854.
7. Governmental investigations - Canada, 1876 Malcolm Mackenzie, 1776, 1785.
8. Expenditures, Public, 1867-1878 Alexander Mackenzie, 1784-1836.
9. Canada. Dept. of Public Works - Officals and employees, 1874-1878 Canada. Prime Minister (1873-1878:Mackenzie)
10. Canada. Parliament. Senate - Selection and appointment, 1874.
11. Prime ministers - Canada - Finance, Personal, 1878.
12. Prime ministers Canada.
13. Mowat, Oliver, Sir, 1820-1903.
14. Politics and government Canada
15. Crooks, Adam, 1827-1885.
16. Blake, Edward, 1833-1912.
17. Health. Mackenzie, Alexander, 1822-1892
18. Politicians Canada.
19. Holton, Luther H., 1817-1880.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1992-411 DAP
- Date modified: