To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Collection consists of
Place of creation
17.7 cm of textual records.
3 microfilm reels : negative and positive.
4 photographs b&w.
Scope and content
Fonds contains the following textual material: correspondence with Sir John A. Macdonald; letterbook of Col. Francis Walter de Winton; speech; correspondence, general; addresses; and correspondence. Correspondence with leading figures during his term as governor General, together with family correspondence and newspaper clippings, 1866-1902, is located on microfilm reels A-716 to A-718. Photographic material depicts: a portrait of the Marquess of Lorne; composite photograph of a ball held in honour of the Marquess of Lorne at the Windsor Hotel, Montréal, Québec; composite photograph of the swearing in ceremony of the Marquess of Lorne as Governor General of Canada. Fonds also contains drawings and watercolours depicting views of places in Canada, the United States, and Europe by the Marquess of Lorne that the Marquess of Lorne either visited or resided in, 1863-1882; a watercolour depiction of Spencer Wood, Quebec, 1839, by HRH Elizabeth of Hesse-Homberg.
Watercolours and drawings: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Photographs: No restrictions on use or reproduction. Copyright expired. Credit: name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / copy negative number.
Textual records The finding aid consists of a chronological list of letters from Sir John A. Macdonald to Lord Lorne (Volume 1) giving subjects and page numbers; and index to the correspondence in Volume 4, giving authors, dates, subjects, and item numbers; and a list of addresses of welcome and loyalty (horizontal filing cabinet). MSS0228 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The Marquis of Lorne (1845-1914) was Governor General of Canada (1878-83). He founded the Royal Society of Canada and helped to establish the Royal Canadian Academy of Art and the National Gallery of Canada. He was married to Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
1. Railroads - Canada - Design and construction, [1878-1884] Canadian Pacific Railway, [1878-1884]
2. Railroads - Canada - History. [1878-1884] Canadian Pacific Railway Company, [1878-1884]
3. Railroads - Construction, [1878-1884] Sitting Bull (Chief), [1878-1884]
4. Canadian Pacific Railway, [1878-1884] Ottawa Ladies College (Ottawa, Ont.), 1879.
5. Railroad construction - Canada, [1878-1884] Duke of Cambridge, [1866-1902]
6. Diplomatic and consular service, Canadian - Great Britain, [1878-1884] Colonel Francis Walter de Winton, 1881.
7. High Commissioners - Great Britain, [1878-1884] Earl of Kimberley, [1866-1902]
8. High commissioners - Canada, [1878-1884]
9. Immigrants - Canada.
10. Emigration and immigration, [1878-1884]
11. Canada - Emigration and immigration, [1878-1884]
13. Canada - History - Fenian Invasions, 1866-1870.
14. Governors General - Canada - Travel, 1881.
15. Northwest, Canadian - Description and travel - 1871-1905, 1881.
16. Indians of North America - Government relations, [1878-1884]
17. Voyages and travel, 1881, [1866-1902]
18. Marquess of Lorne - Journeys, 1881, [1866-1902]
19. Corporations - Canada, 1879.
20. Ottawa Ladies College (Ottawa, Ont.) - Faculty, 1879.
21. Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian - Ottawa (Ont.), 1879.
22. Speeches, addresses, etc., 1879, 1881.
23. Missions - Canada, 1881.
24. Lac Qu'Appelle - Missions, 1881.
25. Indians of North America - Missions, 1881.
26. Indian speeches, 1881.
27. Métis, 1881.
28. Métis - Lac Qu'Appelle, 1881.
29. Indians of North America - Canada, 1881.
30. Governors general Canada.
31. Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, 1881.
32. Churches, 1881.
33. Indians of North America - Oratory, 1881.
34. Societies, 1881.
35. Societies - History, organization, etc., 1881.
36. Citizens' associations, 1881.
37. Associations, institutions, etc., 1881.
38. United States - Relations - Great Britain, [1866-1902]
39. Great Britain - Relations - United States, [1866-1902]
40. Indians of North America, [1866-1902]
41. Indians of North America - Canada, [1866-1902]
42. Indians of North america - Canada - History, [1866-1902]
43. Indians of North America - Government relations, [1866-1902]
44. Constitutional issues, [1866-1902]
45. Policy, Government, [1866-1902]
46. Canada - Social life and customs, [1866-1902]
47. Poetry - Collections, [1866-1902]
48. Caribbean Area - Description and travel, [1866-1902]
49. Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
50. Prime ministers Canada.
51. Premiers ministres Canada.
52. Foreign relations Canada Great Britain.
53. Relations extérieures Canada Grande-Bretagne.
54. Macdonald, John A. (John Alexander), 1815-1891
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1937-255 NPC
2. 1974-029 DAP
3. 1980-228 NPC
- Date modified: