To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
5 microfilm reels negative and positive.
52 photographs b&w.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence of Lansdowne during his term of office as governor general concerning such subjects as U.S. relations pertaining to fisheries, Bering Sea and Alaska boundary, emigration and settlement, provincial legislation and disallowance, commercial treaties, education, defence, C.P.R., Northwest Rebellion, honours and appointments, originals, n.d., 1876, 6 pages; addresses from various organizations, 1884-1888, originals, 14 pages; and Alaska Boundary Commission correspondence, 1903, transcript, 2 pages. There is microfilmed correspondence of Lansdowne with Sir John A. Macdonald and prominent British and Canadian statesmen during his term as Governor General of Canada, 1883-1889. Microfilmed material is located on microfilm reels A-623 to A-627.
The documents are available for research
purposes, however, publication is not permitted without the written authorization of the Principal Trustee of the Bowood manuscripts at the following address: The Most Honourable, The Earl of Shelburne, Bowood House, Calne, Wiltshire, England, SN11 0LZ.
Microfilm reel A-627
Microfilm reel A-625
Microfilm reel A-623
Microfilm reel A-626
Microfilm reel A-624
from 1 to 20
from A-623 to A-627
Textual records The finding aid is a register of correspondence and applies to letterbooks on reels A-623 and A-624. MSS0510 90 (Paper)
Biography / Administrative history
The Marquess of Lansdowne was born in London and educated at Oxford. He entered the House of Lords as a Liberal and served as lord of the Treasury, 1869-1872. He was under-secretary for war, 1872-1874 and under-secretary of state for India, 1880. He was governor general of Canada, 23 October 1883 - 30 May 1888, then secretary of state for war, 1895-1900, foreign secretary 1900-1905, and minister without portfolio, 1915-1916.
1. Canada - Relations - United States, 1883-1889 Canadian Society of Musicians [1884-1888?]
2. United States - Relations - Canada, 1883-1889 MacKay Institute for Protestant Deaf Mutes, 1887.
3. Alaska - Emigration and immigration, 1883-1889 Canada. Parliament. Senate, 1886.
4. Natural resources - Canada, 1883-1889 Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1886.
5. Alaska - Boundaries - Canada, 1883-1889 Gravenhurst (Ont.), 1885.
6. Emigration and immigration, 1883-1889 Great Britain. Colonial Office, 1903.
7. Alaska - Settlement, 1883-1889 Sir John A. Macdonald, 1883-1889.
8. Bering Sea - Settlement, 1883-1889.
9. Land settlement - History, 1883-1889.
10. Land settlement - Bering Sea, 1883-1889.
11. Land settlement - Alaska Boundary, 1883-1889.
12. Alaska Boundary - Emigration and immigration, 1883-1889.
13. Legislation - Canada, 1883-1889.
14. Treaties - Canada, 1883-1889.
15. Commercial treaties, 1883-1889.
16. Canada - Commercial treaties, 1883-1889.
17. Education - Canada, 1883-1889.
18. Canada - Military policy, 1883-1889.
19. Railroads - Canada - Design and construction, 1883-1889.
20. Railroads - Canada - History, 1883-1889.
21. Railroads - Design and construction, 1883-1889.
22. Bering Sea, 1883-1889.
23. Northwest, Canadian - History - 1870-1905, 1883-1889.
24. Decorations of honour - Canada, 1883-1889.
25. Canada - Officials and employees - Selection and appointment, 1883-1889.
26. Physicians - [n.d. or 1876]
27. Physician and patient, [n.d. or 1876]
28. Great Britain - Officials and employees, [n.d. or 1876]
29. Petitions - Canada, [1884-1888?]
30. Patronage, Political - Canada [1884-1888?]
31. Montreal (Quebec) - Speeches, addresses, etc.
32. Presbyterian Church in Canada, 1888.
33. Gravenhurst (Ont.) - Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, 1885.
34. Ottawa (Ont.) - Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, 1888.
35. Alaska Boundary, 1903.
36. Commissions, 1903.
37. Disallowance - Provinces [1886-1889]
38. Disallowance - Powers of [1883-1889]
39. Prime ministers Canada.
40. Premiers ministres Canada.
41. Rébellion de Riel, 1885.
42. Riel Rebellion, 1885.
43. Canada. Parliament. House of Commons.
44. Canada. Parlement. Chambre des communes .
45. Fisheries Canada.
46. Great Britain. Colonial Office.
47. Canada. Parliament. Senate.
48. Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1901 .
49. Victoria, reine de Grande-Bretagne, 1819-1901 .
Other system control no.
Related control no.
- Date modified: