To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
1 photograph b&w.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence, 1858-1891; letterbooks, 1859-1866, 1883-1886; memoranda and reports, 1857-1891; commissions and honours, 1864-1883; speeches and articles, 1860-1877; family correspondence, 1806-1910; and related papers, 1811, 1855, 1863, 1883. The fonds also contains a photgraph showing boy scouts placing a wreath on Galt Monument, Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, 1 July 1927.
Photograph: No restrictions on use. Copyright expired. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Textual records The finding aid contains a descriptive list of the correspondence (vols. 1-4, 7-8), arranged alphabetically by correspondent; a subject index of the correspondence arranged alphabetically; and a list of the memoranda, reports and other items (vols. 5-6, 9). MSS0076 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
Born in London, England, Alexander Tilloch Galt came to Canada in 1830 and in 1835 entered the service of the British American Land Company. He became Commissioner of the company and a promoter and important stockholder in the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railroad and the Grand Trunk Railway.
Galt represented Sherbrooke County, 1849-1850, 1853-1872, first in the Legislative Assembly of Canada, then in the House of Commons. He was Inspector General, 1858-1862, Minister of Finance, 1864-1865, 1867, and Minister of Agriculture, 1865-1866. He attended the Quebec conference and was a Canadian delegate to England 1865 and 1866. He was a member of the Halifax Fishery Commission, 1877, and was the first Canadian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, 1880-1883. He incorporated Northwestern Coal and Navigation Co., Lethbridge, a successful company which was sold to the CPR in 1910. See: Encyclopedia Canadiana, Vol. 4 p. 313; Canadian Encyclopedia, p. 716.
1. Canada - History - Confederation, [1857-1891] George Carr Glyn, 1856-1862, [1858-1891]
2. Canada - Diplomatic and consular service - Great Britain, [1858-1891] Thomas Baring, 1856-1862, [1858-1891]
3. Great Gritain - Diplomatic and consular service - Canada, [1858-1891] Elizabeth Tilloch, [1858-1891]
4. Finance, Public - Canada, 1858-1862, [1858-1891] Luther Holton, 1863.
5. Fiscal policy - Canada, 1858-1862, [1858-1891] Evelyn Galt, 1883.
6. Canada - Officials and employees, 1858-1862, [1858-1891]
7. Imperial trade, [1857-1891]
8. Reciprocity, [1857-1891]
9. Canada - Economic policy, [1857-1891]
10. Free trade, [1857-1891]
11. Commissions, [1864-1883]
12. Decorations of honour - Canada, 1876, 1877.
13. Catholic Church - Canada, 1876, 1877.
14. Canada - Church history - 19th century, 1867-1877.
15. Canada - Church history - 1867-1900, 1867, 1877.
16. Budget - Speeches in Canadian Parliament, 1862, 1863, 1866.
17. Canada - Church history - 1867-1900 - Pamphlets, 1867-1877.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
- Date modified: