To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
4 microfilm reels : negative and positive.
1 painting oil on canvas.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of documents relating to Lord Minto's career as Governor General of Canada from 1898 to 1904. There are also some materials relating to his earlier career in Canada as Viscount Melgund, military secretary to Lord Lansdowne and as General Middleton's chief of staff during the Northwest Rebellion. There are three series: personal papers; military secretary to Governor General papers; and Governor General papers. Material on microfilm is located on microfilm reels A-129 to A-132. The oil painting is a full-length standing portrait of Gilbert John Elliott, 4th Earl of Minto (1845-1914), Governor-General of Canada, 1898-1904. The painting is probably a posthumous portrait copied from another image by Dorothy E. Vicaji.
Microfilm reel A-129
Microfilm reel A-131
Microfilm reel A-132
Microfilm reel A-130
from A-129 to A-132
Painting: Restrictions on use and reproduction are yet to be determined. Copyright expired.
Textual records Finding aid no. 115 is organized into two parts. Part One is a nominal or subject index which lists the year and subject of the correspondence and indicates the location of items in Part Two. Part Two is a descriptive list for each volume indicating date, author and subjects of each item. MSS0115 90 (Electronic)
Textual records The catalogue of the entire Minto fonds, for which only a portion relating to Canada has been copied, is available on microfilm reel A-129. 90 (Microform)
Biography / Administrative history
Gilbert Elliott was born in London, the eldest son of William Hugh Elliott, the third Earl of Minto. Bearing the courtesy title of Viscount Melgund, he was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, and then entered the Scots Guards in 1867. During the next twelve years, serving in various capacities, he saw military action in Spain, Turkey, Afghanistan, South Africa, Egypt, and Canada. While in Canada, from 1883 to 1886, Melgund served as Military Secretary to Governor General Lord Lansdowne, and was Chief of Staff to General Middleton during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. From 1886 to 1898 Melgund lived in semi-retirement on his Roxburgshire estate, where, on the death of his father in 1891, he inherited the earldom.
Lord Minto was appointed Governor General of Canada in 1898 and held that post until November 1904. A year later, in November 1905, he was appointed Viceroy of India, where he served until 1910. Lord Minto then retired to the family estate where he resided until his death in 1914.
The Minto Papers were acquired in several accessions. In 1955 a photocopy of the Japan journal was received from James Eayrs of Toronto, Ont.
Availability of other formats note
Location of originals note
1. Yukon Territory - History - 1895-1918, [1898-1905] Sir Frederick Borden, [1898-1909]
2. Great Britain. Colonial Office - Despatches, 1902 Joseph Chamberlain, [1898-1909]
3. South African War, 1899-1902 - Canada, 1902 General Sir Edward Hutton, [1898-1909], 1923.
4. Quebec (Province) - Politics and government - 1897-1936, 1902 Lord William Seymour, [1898-1909]
5. Viscount Melgund - Diaries, [1884-1894] G.M. Grant, [1899-1904]
6. Fenians, [1884-1887, 1907] "reasoned account", 1923.
7. South African War, 1899-1902 - Poetry, [1884, 1899-1900, 1907] Montreal Star, 1902.
8. Quebec (Quebec) - Manufactures, [1884, 1889-1900, 1907]
9. Munitions - Manufactures, [1884, 1899-1900, 1907] Hugh Graham, 1902.
10. Hockey, [1884, 1899-1900, 1907] "Imperialist", 1902.
11. Imperial trade, 1898-1904 Governor General Lord Lansdowne, [1884-1894]
12. Lieut. H.C. Graham - Travel diaries, 1900 Viscount Melgund, [1884-1886]
13. Governors general - Travel, 1900 General Middleton, [1884-1894]
14. Travellers - Northwest Territories, 1900 Canada. Army. Chief of Staff, 1885, [1884-1894]
15. Travellers - Klondike River Valley (Yukon), 1900 Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, [1884-1887, 1907]
16. Canada - History, Military - To 1900, 1898, 1923 Atlantic, Quebec and Western Railway, [1884-1887, 1907]
17. Canada - Surveys, 1898, 1923 Canadian Defence Commission, [1884-1887, 1907]
18. Cabinet ministers - Canada, [1899-1904] Canadian Pacific Railway, [1884, 1899-1900, 1907]
19. Indians of North America - Canada, [1900-1905] Canada. Militia, [1898-1907]
20. Alaska - Boundaries, [1898-1907] Great Britain. Army. South of Scotland Volunteer Brigade, 1888-1895.
21. Governors general - Canada, 1898-1904 Arthur Elliott, M.P., 1898-1904.
22. Lord Minto - Diaries, 1898-1904.
23. Speeches, addresses, etc., n.d., 1898, 1903-1904.
24. Politicians - Great Britain, [n.d., 1868-1919]
25. Lord Minto - Military leadership, 1888-1895.
26. Laurier, Wilfrid, Sir, 1841-1919.
27. Riel Rebellion, 1885 Campaigns.
28. Rébellion de Riel, 1885 Campagnes et batailles .
29. Tupper, Charles, Sir, 1821-1915.
30. Sladen, Arthur F.
31. Politics and government Canada
32. Politique et gouvernement Canada
33. Riel Rebellion, 1885 Personal narratives.
34. Rébellion de Riel, 1885 Récits personnels .
35. Marconi, Guglielmo, marchese, 1874-1937.
36. Politicians Canada.
37. Hommes politiques Canada.
38. Minto, Mary Caroline, Countess of, 1858-1940.
39. South African War, 1899-1902.
40. Guerre des Boers, 1899-1902.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1990-369 DAP
- Date modified: