To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
1. Collection Nouveau parti démocratique [documents iconographiques]
2. New Democratic Party collection [graphic material]
3. Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and New Democratic Party of Canada, Poster Collection [graphic material] (123-040649-2)
4. Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and the New Democratic Party fonds [textual record] (121-020189-5)
5. NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY / NOUVEAU PARTI DÉMOCRATIQUE
6. NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY / NOUVEAU PARTI DÉMOCRATIQUE
7. NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY / NOUVEAU PARTI DÉMOCRATIQUE
8. NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY / NOUVEAU PARTI DÉMOCRATIQUE
9. WAFFLE MOVEMENT
10. WAFFLE MOVEMENT
11. NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY / NOUVEAU PARTI DÉMOCRATIQUE
Place of creation
129 audio reels.
13 audio discs.
1117 photographs : 954 b&w and 163 col.
45 reproductions : offset lithographs (posters).
1 architectural drawing.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of papers that document the history, development, and policies of the New Democratic Party from its beginnings to its leadership under Edward Broadbent. Records include national conventions, interprovincial conferences, federal elections, related organizations, research and administrative files from the National/Federal office. Fonds also includes sound recordings documenting radio talks and radio speeches, NDP and CLC convention proceedings; part of the proceedings of the first provincial convention of the CCF Party of Newfoundland held in Bay Roberts; part of the proceedings of the CCF National Organization Conference held in Winnipeg; dictations; part of the proceedings of the 14th Biennial Convention of the CCF Party held in Winnipeg; selections from speeches by T.C. Douglas; proceedings of the founding and leadership convention of the New Democratic Party in Ottawa, with simultaneous interpretation; talks by CCF members; radio talks and speeches by leaders of the CCF on issues of public concern; a speech by Jim Laxer, member of the executive of the Ontario Waffle Movement; and speechs given as part of the Waffle series on culture, held in Ottawa, 1975. Speakers include George Martell, Patrick MacFadden, James Lorimer, Bruce Kidd, George Ryga, and Madeline Parent. Finally there are photographs documenting party conventions as well as elections, political activities and individuals, as well as political and election posters. Also included in this fonds is a photographic portrait by Karsh of the Hon. T.C. Douglas, leader of the New Democratic Party as well as campaign posters from the New Democratic Party of Canada featuring party issues as well as posters of candidate David Lewis. Fonds consists of a main floor plan of the Winnipeg Auditorium.
Sound recordings: Reproduction with permission of the New Democratic Party.
Moving images: Reproduction with written permission of copyright owner and with written permission of donor.
Prints: Access is restricted. Contact the Manuscript Division for details. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Architectural, technical drawings: There is no restriction on access to or reproduction of this material. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Textual records The finding aid is a file list. MSS0427 90 (Electronic)
Sound recordings Refer to MINISIS for select item-level descriptions. (Electronic)
Architectural, technical drawings Please consult lower level description. 890344. 90 (Paper)
Biography / Administrative history
The Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF), a political party, was founded in August of 1932 in Calgary at a conference which united various farm, labour and socialist groups from across the country into a federal political party. J.S. Woodsworth (1874-1942) led the party as national leader until shortly before his death in 1942. He was succeeded by another founding CCFer, M.J. Coldwell (1888-1975). Coldwell was defeated in the general election of 1958 but remained party leader until 1960. During the CCF Convention Hazen Argue (1921- ) was elected to the post.
In 1956, after the birth of the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), negotiations began between the CLC and the CCF to bring about an alliance between organized labour and the political left in Canada. In 1958 a joint CCF-CLC committee, the National Committee for the New Party (NCNP), was formed to create a "new" social democratic political party. The NCNP spent the next three years laying down the foundations of the 'New Party'. In 1961, at the end of a five-day long convention, the New Democratic Party was born and T.C. Douglas (1904-1986) was elected its first leader.
In 1971 upon Douglas' retirement, longtime socialist and former CCF National Secretary and Party President, David Lewis, Q.C. (1909-1981) was elected Party Leader. Lewis retired from active politics in 1975 and Edward Broadbent (1936- ) was chosen as Lewis' replacement.
Part of the collection was microfilmed in 1977.
Availability of other formats note
1. Canada. Parliament - Elections, 1932-1958, [1946, 1953-1980] New Democratic Party, 1912-1983.
2. Speeches, addresses, etc., Canadian, [1932-1960] Canadian Labour Congress, [1934-1980]
3. Election campaigns - Canada, [1832-1958] Canadian Council on Social Development, [1934-1980]
4. Campaign literature - Canada, [1946, 1932-1980] New Party, [1958-1983]
5. Campaign literature, Canadian, [1946, 1932-1980] Socialist International, [1932-1980]
6. Trade-unions - Canada - Political activity, [1932-1980]
7. Youth - Canada - Political activity, [1932-1980]
8. Social-Credit Party of Canada - Publishing, [1912-1980]
9. Political parties - Canada - Provinces, [1934-1980]
10. Women - Canada - Societies and clubs, [1934-1980]
11. Youth - Canada - Societies and clubs, [1934-1980]
12. Women - Canada - Political activity, [1934-1980]
13. Socialism - Canada, 1905, 1912-1983.
14. Communist Party of Canada - Publishing, [1912-1980]
15. Socialist parties, [1932-1963]
16. Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Platforms, [1932-1962]
17. Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Publishing, [1905, 1923-1936]
18. New Democratic Party - Committees, [1947-1980]
19. Political parties - Canada - Congresses, 1932-1983.
20. Co-operative Commonwealth Federation - Financial statements, [1932-1962]
21. New Democratic Party - Membership, [1947-1980]
22. New Democratic Party - Officials and employees, [1947-1980]
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1968-153 NPC
2. 1971-0009 MISA
3. 1974-0026 MISA
4. 1975-0041 MISA
5. 1976-0044 MISA
6. 1977-0031 MISA
7. 1978-0088 MISA
8. 1983-0250 MISA
9. 1996-080 DAP
- Date modified: