To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Description found in Archives
1. J.W. Pickersgill collection [graphic material]
2. J.W. Pickersgill collection [graphic material]
3. J.W. Pickersgill collection [graphic material] (111-020000-5)
4. John W. Pickersgill fonds [textual records]
5. J.W. Pickersgill fonds [textual records] (119-020009-0)
6. J.W. Pickersgill fonds [textual records] (119-020010-4)
7. J.W. Pickersgill fonds [textual records] (119-020011-2)
8. Maps pertaining to the village of Cardinal, Ontario, the Canadian railway system and Expo '67, along with architectural drawings by Edward J. Cuhaci [cartographic material, architectural drawing] (111-020000-5)
9. PICKERSGILL, J.W
10. PICKERSGILL, J.W
11. PICKERSGILL, J.W
12. PICKERSGILL, J.W
13. Plans pertaining to the dredging of Catalina Harbour, Trinity North, Newfoundland [cartographic material]
14. Maps and drawings pertaining to the career of J.W. Pickersgill as Member of Parliament for Bonavista-Twillingate, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and Minister of Transport [cartographic material, architectural drawing]
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
198 photographs b&w and col.
21 audio discs.
13 audio reels.
2 drawings pen, ink, charcoal.
1 artifact cloth flag.
4 architectural drawings.
1 remote sensing image 45 x 72 cm.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of twelve series and twenty-six sub-series of textual material. The inclusive dates of these records are: 1920, 1936-1978, 1981. These diverse records range from documenting Pickersgill's pre-parliamentary years, in a series of that name, to his two periods as Secretary of State, the years during which he was Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and later Transport. The Newspaper Clipping series is particularly useful in conjunction with the Citizenship and Immigration series. Pickersgill's political activities are documented in the Newfoundland series, the Opposition series and the Speech series. The Canadian Transport Commission series, the Post-political series, The Pearson Years series, and the William Lyon Mackenzie King Estate series document the activities of the appointed public servant, author and literary executor. The final series contains index cards that relate to various parts of the fonds. Volumes 280 to 304 are in alphabetical order, "A" to "Z", as are volumes 305 to 310. The latter relates to transportation, particularly the CTC and Canadian railways. Volume 311 relates to the Hungarian files in the Immigration series. Volume 312 dates from 1962-1964 and relates to correspondence with Members of Parliament. Photographic material depicts the campaign of John W. Pickersgill as the Liberal Party candidate in the riding of Bonavista-Twillingate during the Federal Election campaign, 15-20 June 1953. Also depicted are industrial, merchant shipping, commercial aviation, and telecommunications activity throughout Canada, as documented in photographs acquired by John Pickersgill as Federal Minister of Transport, 1964-1967; passport photographs of J.W. Pickersgill; J.W. Pickersgill and other members of the St. Laurent Cabinets; J.W. Pickersgill at the 1958 Liberal Leadership Convention; Iron Ore Company of Canada operations, 1962; and views of Robert Banks, 1968. Also included in this fonds are radio broadcasts, talks, interviews and messages accumulated by J.W. Pickersgill while Secretary of State; dialogue between J.W. Pickersgill and J.R. Smallwood at the Canadian Historical Association's annual meeting held in St. John's, Newfoundland; an interview of J.W. Pickersgill by Leo LaClare, recorded in Ottawa; an interview of J.W. Pickersgill by Charles King; and a lecture by J.W. Pickersgill delivered at Carleton University in Ottawa. Drawings consist of a political cartoon entitled "Rip-Van-Picheksgill" by Bill Werthman, published in the St. John's Newfoundland Evening Telegram, 9 December 1957, and a drawing entitled Mt. Assiniboine (Rockies), by A. Marcher, August 1956. This fonds also includes a red maple on a white background cloth flag sent to all members of Parliament by Chris Yaneff, 15 June 1964. In addition, fonds consists of architectural and technical drawings, and maps. Included are two maps of the Village of Cardinal, Ontario; a railway map of Canada; a master plan of Expo '67 in Montreal; and perspectives of: the Dustbane Head Office and Factory, The Church of St. Michael and All Angels, and a proposed twelve classroom school for the Roman Catholic Separate School Board of Ottawa.
Photographs: No restrictions on use. Copyright varies. See individual items.
Sound recordings: Reproduction with written permission of copyright owner; donor restrictions vary. See individual accessions.
Drawings: No restrictions on use. Copyright on cartoon belongs to William C. Werthman.
Cartographic, architectural, technical drawings: No restrictions concerning access or reproduction.
Textual records : The finding aid is a file listing. MSS1627 (Paper)
Textual records: Finding aid. MSS1627 (Electronic)
Sound recordings: Refer to MINISIS for select item-level descriptions. (Electronic)
Sound recordings: Refer to Audio-Visual Acquisition and Research collection file for additional information. (Paper)
Photographs: Refer to Photography, Acquisition and Research collection file for additional information. (Paper)
Artistic material and object: Refer to Documentary Art Acquisition and Research collection file for additional information. (Paper)
Cartographic material; architectural, technical drawings: Please consult lower level descriptions. Finding aids consist of itemized listings, indexed by building type and architect. 86702/1115; 86702/1129; 90135. 90 (Other)
Blohm, Hans, 1927-
Jones, Peter H.
Werthman, William C.
Graphic Industries Ltd.
International Press Service.
Newton & Assocs.
Ed Bermingham Inc.
Maurice Crosby Photography Ltd. (Halifax, N.S.)
Crystal Photos (St. Jean, Quebec)
Dixie Photo Service Inc. (Lachine, Quebec)
Drew Photo Service (Lachute, Quebec)
Garland Studio (St. John's, Nfld.)
Raup Photo (Hagerstown, Md.)
Wrathall's Photo Finishing (Prince Rupert, B.C.)
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
King, William Lyon Mackenzie, 1874-1950.
Pearson, Lester B., 1897-1972.
1. Coronation John Whitney, Hon. Pickersgill.
2. Federal-Provincial Relations Hal Banks.
3. World War II - Conscription Canada. Secretary of State.
4. Bilingualism and Biculturalism National Film Board of Canada.
5. Divorce Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
6. Newfoundland - Emigration and Immigration Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration.
7. Refugees Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. Immigration.
8. Refugees - Hungary Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. Indian Affairs Branch.
9. Hungary - Emigration and Immigration National Gallery of Canada.
10. National Library of Canada.
11. Public Archives of Canada.
12. Canada. Indian Act.
13. St. Lawrence Seaway.
14. Six Nations Confederacy.
15. Bonavista-Twillingate. (Riding: Newfoundland)
16. Iron Ore Company of Canada.
17. Canada. Dept. of Transport.
18. Canada. Dept. of Transport. Atlantic Development Board.
19. Canadian National Railway and Transportation Company.
20. Canadian Pacific Railway.
21. Board of Transport Commissioners of Canada.
22. Canada. National Harbours Commission.
23. Canada. Air Transport Board.
24. Air Canada.
25. Canadian Transport Commission.
26. Walter Gordon, Hon.
27. John Whitney Pickersgill.
28. Canada. Secretary of State, 1953-1954, 1963-1964.
29. Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration.
30. Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. National Library.
31. Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. National Film Board.
32. Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. National Gallery.
33. Canada. Dept. of Citizenship and Immigration. Public Archives.
34. Canada. Department of Transport.
35. Canada. Department of Transport. Atlantic Development Board.
36. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
37. National Harbours Commission.
38. Walter Gordon.
39. King, William Lyon Mackenzie, 1874-1950.
40. Pearson, Lester B., 1897-1972.
41. Newfoundland and Labrador.
43. Trans-Canada Airlines.
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1973-0038 MISA
2. 1973-0064 MISA
3. 1973-0099 MISA
4. 1986-0404 MISA
5. 1986-064 NPC
6. 1990-187 DAP
7. 1990-614 DAP
8. 86702/1115 CA
9. 86702/1129 CA
10. 90135 CA
- Date modified: