To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Series consists of general operational records and paylists created and maintained by the Sault Ste. Marie District Office and its predecessors.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Biography / Administrative history
Following the creation of the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in 1966, agencies were joined to form larger administrative units called districts. An agent was first appointed to Sault Ste. Marie in 1929 to administer the affairs of the bands in the vicinity. In 1938 the Thessalon Agency was amalgamated with this agency under the name Sault Ste. Marie Agency. In 1967 it became the Sault Ste. Marie District office. On 1 April 1976 the Sault Ste. Marie District was absorbed, along with the Manitoulin Island District Office, into the Sudbury District. The latter district was created by the amalgamation of the Nipissing and Chapleau Agencies and the Sault Ste. Marie Education District in 1967. RG10 FA 10-157, Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario.
Related control no.
1. 1977-78/110 GAD
- Date modified: