To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
1812-1965, microfilmed in 1970
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
1.76 m of textual records
Language of material
Scope and content
Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the St. Regis Agency. The series includes letterbooks, cash ledgers, rent registers and ledgers, lease registers and records, a register of Indian location tickets for Dundee and Glengarry Township, Unofficial Dundee Township leases, correspondence, and records related to the Burbridge Commission, Dundee Indian Land Enquiry, 1887. Also included is a sub-series containing microfilmed copies of land lease registers, a collection book, and outgoing correspondence letterbooks. While it is possible that some of the originals of the microfilmed copies may be found in other sub-series, these microfilm records have been described in a single sub-series because of the unusual circumstances associated with the filming.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Biography / Administrative history
The St. Regis Agency was charged with responsibility for the lands of the St. Regis-Akwesasne Iroquois. Though the Reserve now straddles the Ontario, Québec and New York State borders, it at one time occupied considerable tracts around the city of Cornwall, including the Nutfield Tract in Glengarry County. The St. Regis Agency, near Cornwall, Ontario was responsible for the Iroquois of St. Regis, the descendants of the Iroquois at Kahnawake who had moved up the St. Lawrence River from their old settlement opposite Montreal. In 1970 the St. Regis Agency merged with the Peterborough and Tyendinaga Agencies to form the Kingston District. The Iroquois of St. Regis changed their name to the Mohawks of Akwesasne in 1985. Archives of Ontario website
Finding aid 10-157: Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario, 1845-1990.
Source of title
Associated material note
Dates of creation note
Related control no.
1. 1993-94/012 GAD
- Date modified: