Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

St. Regis Agency [textual record (some microform)]. 

Series consists of

Date(s)

1812-1965, microfilmed in 1970

Place of creation

No place, unknown, or undetermined

7 microfilm reels
1.76 m of textual records

Scope and content

Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the St. Regis Agency. The series includes letterbooks, cash ledgers, rent registers and ledgers, lease registers and records, a register of Indian location tickets for Dundee and Glengarry Township, Unofficial Dundee Township leases, correspondence, and records related to the Burbridge Commission, Dundee Indian Land Enquiry, 1887. Also included is a sub-series containing microfilmed copies of land lease registers, a collection book, and outgoing correspondence letterbooks. While it is possible that some of the originals of the microfilmed copies may be found in other sub-series, these microfilm records have been described in a single sub-series because of the unusual circumstances associated with the filming.

Textual records: microform
90: Open
Textual records
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Terms of use

Copyright belongs to the Crown.

Biography / Administrative history

The St. Regis Agency was charged with responsibility for the lands of the St. Regis-Akwesasne Iroquois. Though the Reserve now straddles the Ontario, Québec and New York State borders, it at one time occupied considerable tracts around the city of Cornwall, including the Nutfield Tract in Glengarry County. The St. Regis Agency, near Cornwall, Ontario was responsible for the Iroquois of St. Regis, the descendants of the Iroquois at Kahnawake who had moved up the St. Lawrence River from their old settlement opposite Montreal. In 1970 the St. Regis Agency merged with the Peterborough and Tyendinaga Agencies to form the Kingston District. The Iroquois of St. Regis changed their name to the Mohawks of Akwesasne in 1985. Archives of Ontario website

Finding aid 10-157: Guide to Indian Affairs Field Office Organization in Ontario, 1845-1990.

Additional information

Custodial history
The microfilm records in this series were produced by the Archives of Ontario in 1970. The records were filmed in the field at the local office of the Department of Indian Affairs while the records were still in the custody of the Department.

Source of title
Title is based on the contents of the series.

Accruals
No further accruals are expected.

Related materials
Related records may also be found in the following series: Peterborough Agency, Tyendinaga Agency, and the Kingston District Office.

Associated material note
A copy of the microfilmed records in this series is also available at the Archives of Ontario.

Dates of creation note
The microfilm records in this series were produced by the Archives of Ontario in 1970.

Government

Related control no.

1. 1993-94/012 GAD
2. 121-000012-1
3. RG10-C-VI