To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of the battalion's activities. Volume 4121 includes the following files: Routine orders, Fiset Army, 16 Oct 1916 - 30 Dec 1917 (folder 1, file 1); Routine orders, Second Army, 23 Oct - 5 Nov 1917 (folder 1, file 2); Daily orders, Pt I and Pt II, 7 July 1917 - 17 July 1918 (folder 1, file 3).
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. Note that this descriptive record is based on information found in finding aid 9-37 and in Barbara Wilson's unpublished Guide to the Sources of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. 9-37-20 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in October 1914 under the Command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.A. Gunn under the authorization published in General Order 36 of 15 March 1915. The battalion was mobilized in Montreal and recruited there also.
The battalion embarked at Montreal on 11 May 1915 aboard CAMERONIA, disembarking in England on 20 May 1915. Its strength was 42 officers and 1089 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 15 September 1915, becoming part of the 2nd Canadian Division, 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 23rd Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 8 April 1919, disembarked in Canada on 16 May 1919, was demobilized on 17 May 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion supported a brass band. Its air was "The Victoria Rifles March". In 1919 the battalion colours were deposited in the Church of St. James the Apostle, Montreal. The battalion published a photographic record of the period 1914-1915.
The 24th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Victoria Rifles of Canada.
- Date modified: