To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion, and document many aspects of the battalion's activities.
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-32 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The 1st Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion was organized in December 1914 under General Order 36 of 15 March 1915. The battalion was mobilized in Brandon, Yorkton (A Squadron), Brandon (B Squadron), and Saskatoon (C Squadron) and was recruited from nine mounted regiments in Military District 10. The battalion was under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel H.I. Stevenson.
The battalion left Montreal on 12 June 1915 aboard MEGANTIC, arriving in England on 21 June 1915. Its strength was 28 officers and 602 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 22 September 1915, becoming part of the 1st Brigade Canadian Mounted Rifles. Its designation was changed from regiment to battalion with the formation of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade on 1 January 1916. The battalion returned to Canada on 20 March 1919, was demobilized at Brandon on 24 March 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 207 of 15 November 1920.
The battalion supported a brass and pipe band. The battalion colours were presented at Bramshott in March 1919 by Brigadier General D.C. Draper.
The 1st Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion was perpetuated by The Manitoba Mounted Rifles which converted to artillery in 1946. It was also perpetuated by The Saskatchewan Mounted Rifles which, in 1936, amalgamated with the 16th Canadian Light Horse to form The 16th\22nd Saskatchewan Horse.
- Date modified: