To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion, and document many aspects of the battalion's activities.
Copyright belongs to the Government of Canada.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-33 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The predecessor of the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion, the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Regiment (CMR) was organized in December 1914 under the command of Lieutenant- Colonel C.L. Bott. Its authorization was published in General Order 36 of 15 March 1915. The regiment was mobilized at Willows Camp, Victoria and recruited from 30th B.C. Horse (Vernon) and Victoria Squadron of Horse.
The regiment left Montreal on 12 June 1915 aboard MEGANTIC, disembarking in England on 21 June 1915. Its strength was 28 officers and 605 other ranks. The regiment arrived in France on 22 September 1915 where it became part of 1st Brigade CMR. This designation changed from regiment to battalion on the formation of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade on 1 January 1916. The 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion returned to Canada on 24 March 1919, was demobilized on 2 April 1919 and disbanded by General Order 207 of 15 November 1920.
The battalion supported brass and bugle bands. The battalion colours were donated by Mrs G.C. Johnston and presented at Bramshott in March 1919 by Brigadier General D.C. Draper. The regimental mascot was a bear named Winnipeg (See the Ottawa Citizen, 13 June 1987).
The 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles Battalion was perpetuated by The British Columbia Dragoons.
- Date modified: