To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion, and document many aspects of the battalion's activities.
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-35 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion was organized initially as a regiment in November 1914 under authorization published in General Order 36 of 15 March 1915. The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel G.H. Baker. It was mobilized in Sherbrooke and recruited in the Eastern Townships.
The regiment embarked at Quebec on 18 July 1915 aboard HESPERIAN, disembarking in England on 27 July 1915. Its strength was 35 officers and 601 other ranks. The regiment arrived in France on 24 October 1915, becoming part of the 2nd Brigade, Canadian Mounted Rifles. Its designation was changed from a regiment to a battalion on the formation of the 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade on 1 January 1916. The battalion returned to Canada on 17 March 1919, was demobilized on 18 March 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 207 of 15 November 1920.
The battalion supported both a brass and bugle band. The battalion colours were presented at Bramshott in March 1919 by Sir George Perley on behalf of the people of the Eastern Townships.
The 5th Canadian Mounted Rifle Battalion was perpetuated by the x Mounted Rifles which was converted to artillery in 1936.
- Date modified: