To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 116th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities. Volume 4203 includes the following files: Orders and instructions re aircraft, 14 Oct 1915 - 12 Nov 1916 (folder 1, file 1); Defence of Realm regulations, 23-29 Nov 1916 (folder 1, file 2); Field messages, 16 Oct 1916 - 31 Dec 1918 (folder 1, file 3); Nominal rolls (folder 1, files 4-6); Battalion orders, Pts I and II, 28 Sept - 8 Dec 1916 (folder 1, file 7).
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. Note that this descriptive record is based on information found in finding aid 9-37 and in Barbara Wilson's unpublished Guide to the Sources of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. 9-37-41 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The 116th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in November 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Sam Sharpe under authorization published in General Order 151 of 22 December 1915. The battalion mobilized at Uxbridge and recruited in Ontario County.
The battalion embarked at Halifax 24 July 1916 aboard OLYMPIC, disembarking England 31 July 1916. Its strength was 36 officers and 948 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 11 February 1917, becoming part of the 3rd Canadian Division, 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 2nd Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 13 February 1919, arrived in Canada on 24 March 1919, was demobilized on 28 March 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion supported brass and bugle bands. The battalion colours were presented by The Junior Relief Club of Uxbridge on 20 May 1916 and were deposited in Westminster Abbey on 7 October for the duration of the war. After the war, the colours were placed initially in a church in Cannington, Ont. Later they were transferred to the Court House, Whitby where they remained until the postwar reorganization of the 34th Ontario Regiment.
The 116th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Ontario Regiment.
- Date modified: