To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 44th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-44 90 (Electronic)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
The 44th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in February 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel E.R. Wayland under authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. The battalion mobilized at Winnipeg and also recruited in Winnipeg.
An initial draft of 5 officers and 249 other ranks was sent to England on 4 September 1915. A further draft of 10 officers and 500 other ranks from the 44th and 45th Battalions was sent to England on 1 June 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Halifax on 23 October 1915 aboard LAPLAND, disembarking England on 30 October 1915. Its strength was 36 officers and 1076 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 10 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 18th Canadian Reserve Battalion. It returned to England on 23 April 1919, disembarked in Canada on 4 June 1919, was demobilized on 6 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion published "Gin Pills" from November 1915 to May 1916 at Bramshott Camp. The battalion supported brass and pipe bands.
The 44th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Carleton Light Infantry which, in 1936, amalgamated with The York Regiment to form The Carleton and York Regiment. This perpetuation was changed on 11 September 1969 to The Royal Winnipeg Rifles.
- Date modified: