To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-45 90 (Electronic)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
The 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in February 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Hubert Snell, under authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. The battalion mobilized at Moose Jaw and recruited in Moose Jaw Regina, Weyburn, Estevan and Arcola.
An initial draft of 5 officers and 250 other ranks was sent to England on 5 July 1915. A smaller draft was later sent to England on 4 September 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Halifax on 23 October 1915 aboard LAPLAND, disembarking in England on 30 October 1915. Its strength was 36 officers and 1115 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 10 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 19th Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 27 April 1919, disembarked in Canada on 4 June 1919, was demobilized on 9 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion supported brass and pipe bands. It had no colours.
The 46th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The King's Own Rifles which was redesignated the 20th Saskatchewan Armoured Regiment in 1946 and, in 1954, The Saskatchewan Dragoons.
- Date modified: