Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

50th Canadian Infantry Battalion [textual record]. 

Sub-series consists of

Date(s)

ca. 1914-1919

Place of creation

No place, unknown, or undetermined

0.6 m of textual records

Scope and content

Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 50th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.

Textual records
90: Open
Volume
from 4214 to 4217
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Terms of use

Copyright belongs to the Crown.

Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-47 90 (Electronic)

Biography / Administrative history

The 50th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in December 1914 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel E.G. Mason under authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. The battalion mobilized and recruited in Calgary.

Initial drafts of 5 officers and 251 other ranks and 5 officers and 250 other ranks were sent to England on 14 June and 11 September 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Halifax on 27 October 1915 aboard ORDUNA, disembarking in England on 4 November 1915. Its strength was 41 officers and 1036 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 11 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 10th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 21st Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 27 April 1919, disembarked in Halifax 5 June 1919, was demobilized in Calgary on 9 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.

The battalion colours were presented in Ottawa on 25 October 1915 by Mrs. Joseph Irwin. They were deposited for safekeeping in Bramshott Parish Church, Hampshire and, on 26 March 1922, in the Central Methodist Church, Calgary. The battalion supported a brass band. Its air was the`Regimental March of The 1st Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent' and one bar of `The Maple Leaf Forever'.

The 50th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Calgary Regiment.

Additional information

Source of title
Title is based on the contents of the sub-series.

Accruals
No further accruals are expected.

Government