To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 54th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. 9-37-49 90 (Electronic)
Biography / Administrative history
The 54th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in May 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.M. Davis under authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. The battalion was mobilized in Vernon and recruited in rural areas of British Columbia.
Two drafts consisting of a total of 5 officers and 250 men were sent to England on 21 July and 23 October 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Halifax 22 November 1915 aboard SAXONIA, disembarking in England on 30 November 1915. Its strength was 36 officers and 1111 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 13 August 1916becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 16th Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 29 April 1919, disembarked in Canada on 6 June 1919, was demobilized on 12 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion supported a brass band. The battalion colours were deposited in Nelson Cathedral on 24 May 1921.
The 54th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Kootenay Regiment.
- Date modified: