Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

87th Canadian Infantry Battalion [textual record]. 

Sub-series consists of

Date(s)

1916-1918

Place of creation

No place, unknown, or undetermined

0.06 m of textual records

Scope and content

Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 87th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.

Textual records
90: Open
Volume
4221
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Terms of use

Copyright belongs to the Crown.

Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-51 90 (Electronic)

Biography / Administrative history

The 87th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in September 1915 under the command of Colonel F.S. Meighen under authorization published in General Order 151 of 22 December 1915. The battalion was mobilized in Montreal and recruited in Gaspé, Eastern Townships, Pembroke, Dundas County and the mining districts of Ontario and Quebec.

The battalion embarked at Halifax on 25 April 1916 aboard EMPRESS OF BRITAIN, disembarking in England on 5 May 1916. Its strength was 36 officers and 1026 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 11 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 22nd Canadian Reserve Battalion and, after 8 May 1917, by 23rd Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 3 May 1919, disembarked in Canada on 6 June 1919, was demobilized on 8 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.

The battalion colours were deposited in Canterbury Cathedral. The battalion supported a brass and a bugle band. It also published a photographic record for the year 1916.

The 87th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Canadian Grenadier Guards.

Additional information

Source of title
Title is based on the contents of the sub-series.

Accruals
No further accruals are expected.

Government