To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-54 90 (Electronic)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
The 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in January 1915 under the Command of Lieutenant-Colonel C.M. Edwards under authorization published in General Order 86 of 1 July 1915. The battalion was mobilized in Ottawa and recruited in Ottawa and district (Brockville, Perth, Prescott and Alexandria).
An initial draft of 5 officers and 251 other ranks was sent to England on 24 June 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Montreal on 1 August 1915 aboard CALEDONIAN, disembarking in Bermuda on 12 August 1915. Its strength was 35 officers and 959 other ranks. The battalion embarked at Bermuda on 30 May 1916 aboard GRAMPIAN, disembarking in England on 9 June 1916. Its strength was 35 officers and 1001 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 13 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 7th Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 6 May 1919, arrived in Canada on 13 June 1919, was demobilized in Ottawa on 15 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.
The battalion supported a brass band. Its battalion air was the medley `Will ye no come back again', and `Ye'll tak the high road'. The battalion colours, donated by the Ottawa Home Guard, were presented by Sir Joseph Pope on 1 August 1915. The colours were deposited in Westminster Abbey on 12 July 1916. They were returned to Ottawa and deposited temporarily in Chalmers Church in 1919. Later they were transferred to the Ottawa Regiment.
The 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa.
- Date modified: