Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

78th Canadian Infantry Battalion [textual record]. 

Sub-series consists of

Date(s)

1916-1919

Place of creation

No place, unknown, or undetermined

0.6 m of textual records

Scope and content

Sub-series consists of records created and/or maintained by the 78th Canadian Infantry Battalion, and document many aspects of its activities.

Textual records
90: Open
Volume
from 4237 to 4239
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Terms of use

Copyright belongs to the Crown.

Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. The finding aid is a typed list consisting of volume number, file number, title and outside dates. 9-37-57 90 (Electronic)

Biography / Administrative history

The 78th Canadian Infantry Battalion was organized in July 1915 under authorization published in General Order 103a of 15 August 1915. The battalion was commanded initially by Lieutenant-Colonel J.B. Mitchell who was soon succeeded by Lieutenant-Colonel James Kircaldy. The battalion was mobilized in Winnipeg and recruited in the Winnipeg district.

An initial draft of 5 officers and 250 other ranks was sent to England on 25 September 1915. The battalion itself embarked at Halifax 22 May 1916 aboard EMPRESS OF BRITAIN, disembarking in England on 29 May 1916. Its strength was 37 officers and 1097 other ranks. The battalion arrived in France on 12 August 1916, becoming part of the 4th Canadian Division, 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade. It was later reinforced by the 11th Canadian Reserve Battalion and, after 5 September 1918, by the 18th Canadian Reserve Battalion. The battalion returned to England on 1 May 1919, disembarked in Canada on 7 June 1919, was demobilized on 12 June 1919, and was disbanded by General Order 149 of 15 September 1920.

The battalion colours were donated by 100th Winnipeg Grenadiers and were deposited in Canterbury Cathedral for the duration of war. They were later deposited in St. Matthew's Church, Winnipeg. The battalion supported a brass band. The battalion also published a photographic record for the year 1915.

The 78th Canadian Infantry Battalion was perpetuated by The Winnipeg Grenadiers.

Additional information

Source of title
Title is based on the contents of the sub-series.

Accruals
No further accruals are expected.

Government