To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Series part of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Series consists of records created and/or maintained by the Canadian Chaplain Service.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Biography / Administrative history
The Canadian Chaplain Service began operating at Valcartier Camp in August 1914 and accompanied the 1st Contingent to England in October. The authorization establishing the Canadian Chaplain Service was granted in August 1915. The service was under the command of the Director of Chaplain Services, Hon. Colonel, J.M. Almond who was assisted by four Assistant Directors and a Deputy-Assistant Director. 280 chaplains from various religious denominations were represented in an establishment authorized in March 1917. These included 102 from the Church of England, 53 Roman Catholics, 58 Methodists and 13 others. Chaplains attended to the spiritual needs of members of the OMFC in camps, hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations in England and France, and on the front lines they often accompanied the troops into battle, assisted medical officers, organized stretcher-bearing parties, and ministered to the wounded and dying.
Source of title
- Date modified: