To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Sub-series consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Scope and content
Sub-series consists of the administrative records of No. 5 Canadian General Hospital, Kirkdale.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Textual records The finding aid's file level descriptions can be accessed through the consists of fields in the MIKAN record. A paper copy is also available in the Reference room. 9-31-39 90 (Electronic)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
No. 5 Canadian General Hospital, Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC) was organized at Victoria in June 1915 under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel E.C. Hart. Its authorization was published in General Order 103a of 15 August 1915.
No. 5 Canadian General Hospital left Montreal on 27 August 1915 aboard SCANDIVANIAN, arriving in England on 4 September. Its strength was 31 officers, 72 nursing sisters, and 203 other ranks. No. 5 administered Shorncliffe Military Hospital from 6 October to 12 November 1915. It arrived at Salonika in December 1915 aboard ASTURIAS where it remained until August 1917. No. 5 Canadian General Hospital returned to England in September 1917and took over Canadian Military Hospital, Kirkdale, Liverpool which had been authorized in May 1917 and was the clearing hospital for wounded soldiers returning to Canada. The Hospital closed on 26 November 1919 and was disbanded by General Order 211 of 15 November 1920.
The Hospital published "The Blister" and then "Convoy Call" between June and December 1916 (see RG9-III, vol. 6077).
Source of title
- Date modified: