To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Fonds consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
ca. 14470 maps
ca. 86738 architectural drawings
ca. 25341 technical drawings
310 presentation panels
4 remote sensing images
ca. 5104 aperture cards of architectural drawings
624 aperture cards of technical drawings
8.4 m. of drawings
1 drawing (graphic art)
ca. 90 cm of graphic material
7 cm of textual documents
1341 videocassettes (ca. 915 h, 19 min)
354 film reels (ca. 242 h, 35 min)
247 video reels (ca. 157 h, 5 min)
24 audio reels (ca. 13 h, 10 min)
6 audio cassettes (ca. 6 h)
3 optical discs (ca. 2 h, 10 min)
Language of material
Added language of material: French
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records created and/or maintained by the Department of Public Works and its predecessors. Researchers are cautioned that unprocessed textual records and records in other media are not reflected in this description. Audio-visual material can be found in the series entitled Audio-Visual, MultiMedia and Creative Services Directorate.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Finding aids are available. See lower level descriptions and accession records in ArchiviaNet (the NA website). (Other)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
The Board of Works was established in 1839 for Lower Canada and its jurisdiction extended to the United Provinces of Canada in 1841. After a substantial reorganization in 1846 it was replaced by the Department of Public Works in 1859. This body was responsible for canals, works in navigable waters, harbours, lighthouses, beacons and buoys, slides and booms, roads, bridges and public buildings. In 1867 its functions were assumed by the federal Department of Public Works which also became responsible for similar public works in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Control of most roads and bridges and certain public buildings were relinquished to the provinces at Confederation while the operation and administration of marine works, though not their construction, was transferred to the Marine Branch of the new Department of Marine and Fisheries in 1868 (RG 42). The management of all railways and canals and their related works was assumed by the Department of Railways and Canals (RG 43) in 1879. The Government Telegraph and Telephone Service, a Public Works operation since 1876, went to the Department of Transport (RG 12) in 1968. During that period the responsibilities of the Departments of Public Works included the management of real property; the construction and maintenance of public buildings, wharves, piers, roads and bridges; improvement to harbours and navigable waters; and the acquisition of land and accommodation for government use. In 1993 the Department of Public Works was merged with the Departments of Supplies and Services.
Other system control no.
- Date modified: