To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Fonds consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
Language of material
Added language of material: French
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records created and maintained by the Dominion Coal Board. Researchers are cautioned that unprocessed textual records and records in other media are not reflected in this description.
Conditions of access
Copyright belongs to the Crown.
Finding aids are available. See lower level descriptions and accession records in ArchiviaNet (the NA website). (Other)
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
The establishment of the Dominion Coal Board (11 Geo. VI, c. 57) in 1947 marked the last in a long line of government institutions designated to oversee the nation's coal industry. The first of these, the Office of the Fuel Controller, was founded in 1917 (P.C. 1579, 11 July 1917) to ease coal shortages brought about by the First World War. The Dominion Fuel Board, created in 1922, (P.C. 2381, 25 Nov. 1922) aimed to secure national fuel self-sufficiency through. The Board was placed under the Department of Mines and remained there until it was transferred to the Department of Mines and Resources in 1936 (Mines and Resources, Annual Report, 1937, p. 45). Shortly after the end of the Second World War, in 1947, the Dominion Coal Board was established and given a mandate which included not only the development and marketing of Canadian coal but also the improvement of working conditions for miners in the collieries. By 1969 significant policy changes such as the end of tariffs on coal imports, the termination of coal subventions a year later and the revocation of the Canadian Coal Equality Act and the Maritime Coal Production Act spelled the end of the Board. The board was abolished May 1, 1970 by the Dominion Coal Board Dissolution Act (S.C. 1969-70, c. 29, s. 4). Over the course of its history the board reported to a succession of departments including: Mines; Mines and Resources; Labour, Munitions and Supply; Trade and Commerce; Mines and Technical Surveys and, in 1970, the residual functions were transferred to the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources (E.R. Annual Report 1969-1970, p. 73).
Other system control no.
- Date modified: