Archives Search


Search only: Library, Archives Advanced Search, Ancestors, Images, Search All

To submit a comment, contact webservices@lac-bac.gc.ca

Search Help


Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.



Description found in Archives

148th Canadian Infantry Battalion [textual record] 

Date(s)

1915-1916

Place of creation

Canada

0.2 m of textual records

Scope and content

Sub-series consists of attestation papers for each recruit in the 148th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, indicating address, date and place of birth, trade, marital status, name and address of next-of-kin and previous military service.

Textual records
90: Open
Volume
from 4250 to 4251
90: Open
Archival reference no.
Former archival reference no.

Biography / Administrative history

The 148th Canadian Reserve Battalion was organized in November 1915 under the command of Lt.-Col. A.A. Magee. Its authorization was published in General Order 151 of 22 December 1915 (authority: Resolution of Corporation and Military Committee of McGill University, Dec. 8, 1915). The battalion mobilized at Montreal and recruited in the Montreal district. It was affiliated with the McGill University Contingent, Canadian Officers Training Corps. The 148th Canadian Reserve Battalion embarked from Halifax 27 September 1916 aboard the LACONIA. It disembarked in England 6 October 1916 with a strength of 32 officers and 951 other ranks. In December 1916 drafts of 178 went to the 24th Battalion, 57 to the 14th Battalion and 20 to the 60th Battalion. The battalion was absorbed by the 20th Canadian Reserve Battalion on 8 January 1917 and was disbanded 4 August 1917 by P.C. 1895 of 17 July 1917. Its colours were donated and presented by Mrs. Gavin Ogilvie on 7 March 1917 and were deposited in the Redpath Library, McGill University. The 148th Canadian Reserve Battalion was perpetuated by the McGill University COTC.

Government

3722567