Textual records: The finding aid is a file list indicating box numbers, file numbers, file titles and outside dates 20-40 90 (Paper)
The Canadian Government Office of Tourism finds its origin in the Canadian Travel Bureau which was established in 1933 in the then Department of Railways and Canals. The Canadian Travel Bureau was established to promote Canadian tourist features attractive to tourists and was mainly oriented towards the American market. In 1936 the Bureau was transferred to the newly erected Department of Transport. It remained there until 1941 when it was removed to the Department of National War Services. After the war, in 1945, the Bureau was moved to the Department of Trade and Commerce where its name was changed, in 1947, to that of Canadian Government Travel Bureau. In 1948, the Bureau was transferred again, this time, to the Department of Reconstruction and Supply and, two years later, to the Department of Resources and Development which became Northern Affairs and Natural Resources in 1953. Finally, upon recommendation by the Glassco Commission, it was, in 1962, transferred back to the Department of Trade and Commerce which became the Department of Industry, Trade and Commerce in 1969. Its name was changed to that of Canadian Government Office of Tourism in 1972.
This accession contains policy, administrative and operational central registry files which were created by the Canadian Government Office of Tourism and its predecessors the Canadian Travel Bureau and the Canadian Government Travel Bureau. The files document the establishment of the Canadian Travel Bureau, the creation of tourist offices in various American cities and in various European countries, travel trade missions, federal-provincial tourist conferences, publicity programs and various other related topics.