To submit a comment, contact email@example.com
Description found in Archives
Series consists of
Place of creation
Negatives - glass
Scope and content
The series consists of 69 stereograph glass negatives depicting mostly scenes from around Ottawa and Québec between 1868-1875. There are photographs of buildings like the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Earnscliffe estate, and unidentified houses around Ottawa and Bridgetown, N.S. Also, there are scenes showing views of Ottawa and Québec City including bridges or St. John's Gate. In addition, there are landscape scenes including views of Chaudière Falls, Murray Bay (now Pointe-au-Pic, Québec), Gatineau and some unidentified rivers. Lastly, there are three photographs of Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll and John Campbell, the Marquis of Lorne and Duke of Argyll, in winter dress.
Glass plate negatives do not travel. Mus
t be consulted at Preservation Centre.
from 00602A to 00602D
Credit: Stiff Brothers and the Topley Studio / Library and Archives Canada / PA-.
Restrictions on use: Nil.
Graphic material (photo) FA-001 90 (Electronic)
Photographer: Stiff Brothers.
Biography / Administrative history
Photography studio formed by brothers Thomas P. Stiff and Philander Stiff in Ottawa (Ont.) in 1868 after Thomas returned from Hyannis (Mass.) where he was a photographer. The Stiff Brothers took photographs largely around the Ottawa area which were mounted as full stereographs on glass plate negatives.
The studio was bought out by William James Topley in 1875; after acquiring these stereographs, Topley maintained them amongst his own negatives which were eventually acquired by the National Archives of Canada in 1936.
Restrictions on access note
1. Ottawa (Ont.)
2. Québec (Québec)
- Date modified: