To submit a comment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Warning: Descriptive record is in process. These materials may not yet be available for consultation.
Description found in Archives
Fonds consists of
Place of creation
No place, unknown, or undetermined
57 photographs b&w.
6 film reels (35 min).
7 audio discs (55 min, 20 s).
Language of material
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records which reflect Coghill's military career. Included are souvenir publications and programmes, memos, a dictionary, and instructions about the Imperial Economic Conference and other events in the Parliament Buildings. The fonds also includes documents relating to his appointment as Sergeant-at-Arms in 1930. Fonds also consists of amateur film footage shot by Coghill and sound recordings of Canada's 60th anniversary celebrations and speeches by William Lyon Mackenzie King. Fonds also consists of numerous portraits. Fonds also consists of a CPR map, ca. 1926.
Conditions of access
Photographs: No restrictions. Copyright expired.
Creator / Provenance
Biography / Administrative history
H.J. Coghill was born at Listowell Ontario April 17, and educated in Listowel and St. Catharines. He was active in the militia and went overseas in 1914; he continued with the army after the war and was an organizer of the 1927 Diamond Jubilee celebrations which included a tour across Canada by the Prince of Wales and events on Parliament Hill. Coghill was also an organizer of the Canadian Tours of Leo Amery in 1928, and Ramsey MacDonald in 1929. He was appointed Sergeant-at-Arms, House of Commons in July 1930. In that capacity he helped with the arrangements for the Imperial Economic Conference in 1932. He died January 9.
1. Canada - Officials and employees, 1914-1934
2. Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Sergeant-at-Arms, 1930-1934.
3. Canada - Armed Forces - History - World War I, 1914-1926
4. Diamond Jubilee, 1927.
5. Soldiers - Canada, 1914-1926
6. Prince of Wales, [1916-1929]
7. Henry Judson Coghill - Career in military, 1914-1926
8. Leo Amery, [1916-1929]
9. Souvenirs (Keepsakes) - Canada, 1914-1926
10. Ramsey MacDonald, [1916-1929]
11. Canada - Tours, 1916-1929.
12. Itineraries, 1927-1929.
13. Imperial Economic Conference, 1932, 1930-1934.
14. Parliament Buildings (Ottawa, Ont.) .
15. Édifices du Parlement (Ottawa, Ont.)
Other system control no.
Related control no.
1. 1986/0483 MSS
2. 1988-026 NPC
3. 1988/0329 MSS
4. 1989-166 DAP
- Date modified: