Recherche de fonds d'archives
Pour formuler un commentaire, veuillez communiquer avec email@example.com
Description trouvée dans les archives
Fonds se compose de
Structure du classement
Lieu de création
Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
19 microfilm reels.
4 audio reels (ca. 2 h, 30 min).
Langue du document
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists of the records of the Japanese Canadian Citizens Association and it predecessors and documents the business operations as well as the activities of the Association especially in the field of evacuation claims. In addition to the Association's financial records and the records of its Executive Council, fonds also includes briefs submitted to the Federal Government of Canada and the Provincial Government of British Columbia concerning discrimination against Japanese Canadians. Fonds also includes case files of individuals who sought re-entry into Canada after the Second World War, literature on various conferences and correspondence with the Japanese American Citizens League and other similar organizations concerned with civil rights. Fonds includes an account of a pilgrimage of Issei veterans to the unveiling of the Vimy Memorial in 1936 and historical notes and clippings used by Ken Adachi in writing his book The Enemy that Never Was - A History of the Japanese Canadians; and consists of various published sources, n.d., 1884-1975. The fonds also includes microfilmed copies of the first 17 containers of textual records, reels C-12818 to C-12836. This material includes correspondence, financial records, forms, minutes and printed material relating to the activities of the Japanese Canadian Citizens' Association, 1942-1953. Fonds also includes sound recordings relating to Japanese-Canadian activities in Canada and the Japanese Canadian Citizens Association History Project, 1960-1964.
Bobine de microfilm C-12836
Bobine de microfilm C-12831
Bobine de microfilm C-12820
Bobine de microfilm C-12833
Bobine de microfilm C-12835
Bobine de microfilm C-12834
Bobine de microfilm C-12825
Bobine de microfilm C-12829
Bobine de microfilm C-12832
Bobine de microfilm C-12830
Bobine de microfilm C-12818
Bobine de microfilm C-12827
Bobine de microfilm C-12822
Bobine de microfilm C-12819
Bobine de microfilm C-12821
Bobine de microfilm C-12824
Bobine de microfilm C-12826
Bobine de microfilm C-12828
Bobine de microfilm C-12823
de C-12818 à C-12835
Sound recordings: Reproduction and use in any form requires the written permission of the copyright holder.
Instrument de recherche
Textual records The finding aid is a file list and a microfilm conversion list. MSS1281 66 (Papier)
Textual records Finding aid. MSS1281 90 (Électronique)
Créateur / Provenance
Biographie / Histoire administrative
The Japanese Canadian Citizens Association (J.C.C.A.) was formed in 1947 to act as a national organization for Japanese Canadians. Its first major function was to assist claimants before the Royal Commission of Japanese Property losses (Bird Commission). The J.C.C.A. was also in the forefront of the successful post-war struggle against discriminatory legislation. Because of a change in the organization's structure in 1953 most of the records in this collection are from the early period of its activity.
The records in this collection are essential for the study of Japanese Canadians during the Second World War and its aftermath. The evacuation of Japanese Canadians from the "protected area" of British Columbia in 1942 led to the destruction of most archival material pre-dating 1941. Although much of the material in the collection relates to the issue of property losses which provided the impetus for a national organization in 1947, there are many other subjects covered by these files. The rebuilding of an ethno-cultural community, the struggle for basic civil rights and the activities of a national ethnic organization are all well documented.
Note sur les autres formats physiques disponibles
1. Japanese Canadians - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975
2. Japanese Canadian Citizens League, 1936-1940.
3. Japanese - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975
4. Vancouver (B.C.), 1936-1940.
5. Japanese Canadians - British Columbia, [n.d., 1884-1975]
6. Japanese Canadian Citizens Council, 1942.
7. Japanese Canadians - Civil rights, [n.d., 1884-1975]
8. British Columbia Japanese Canadian Citizens Association, 1946-1948.
9. Japanese Canadians - Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945, [1922-1975]
10. Co-operative Committee on Japanese Canadians, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954]
11. Japanese Canadians - Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945 - Legal cases, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954
12. Fishing Vessel Disposal Committee, [1922-1932, 1942-1954]
13. Japanese Canadians - Societies, etc., [n.d., 1884-1975]
14. Japan, 1947-1958.
15. Japanese - British Columbia, [n.d., 1884-1975]
16. Japanese American Citizens League, 1947-1950, 1960.
17. Civil rights - Canada, [n.d., 1884-1975]
18. Mike Masaoka, 1947.
19. Japanese Canadian Citizens Association - Finance, 1943-1953, 1963
20. Toronto (Ont.), 1947.
21. Japanese Canadians - Claims, 1922-1932, [1942-1975]
22. Canada. Parliament. Senate Committee on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, [1947-1951, 1969]
23. Civil rights movements - Canada, [1922-1975]
24. G. Tanaka,1969.
25. Right of property - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954
26. British Columbia United Fishermen and Allied Workers Convention, 1969.
27. Canada - Ethnic relations, [n.d., 1884-1975]
28. "Call My People Home", [n.d., 1950-1953]
29. Japanese Canadians - Legal status, laws, etc., 1936, 1948-1953
30. "Minority Groups vs. Canadian Public - A Mock Trial", [n.d., 1950-1953]
31. Property - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954
32. Pattie Tanner, [n.d., 1950-1953]
33. Repossession - Canada, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954]
34. Nipponia Home (Beamsvill, Ont.), [1947-1958]
35. Fish and game licences - Canada, 1922-1932, 1942-1950
36. Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (Vancouver, B.C.), [1947-1958]
37. Fishing vessels - British Columbia, [1922-1932, 1942, 1947-1954]
38. Issei, 1936.
39. British Columbia - Politics and government, 1948-1953
40. Vimy Memorial (France), 1936.
41. Administrative agencies - Canada, 1948-1953
42. New Canadian, 1958.
43. Canada - Emigration and immigration, 1947-1958
44. Nisei Affairs, [n.d., 1936, 1945-1949]
45. Japan - Emigration and immigration, 1947-1958
46. Quebec Directory, 1949.
47. Japanese Americans - Civil rights, 1947-1950, 1960
48. Judge Helen G. McGill, 1936.
49. Japanese Americans - Societies, etc., 1947-1950, 1960
50. "The Oriental Delinquent in the Vancouver Juvenile Court",1936.
51. Government investigations - Canada, 1947-1951, 1969
52. Ken Adachi, n.d., 1884-1975.
53. Human rights - Canada, 1947-1951, 1969
54. The Enemy that Never Was - A History of the Japanese Canadians, [n.d., 1884-1975]
55. Canada. Parliament. Senate - Committees, 1947-1951, 1969
56. National Japanese Canadian Citizens Association, [n.d., 1884-1975]
57. Minorities - Canada, n.d., 1884-1975]
58. Canada. Department of the Secretary of State, [n.d., 1884-1975]
59. Japanese Canadians - Political activity, 1947-1975
60. Canadian Citizenship Council, [n.d., 1884-1975]
61. Dorothy Livesay - Poetry, [n.d., 1950-1953]
62. Canadian Ethnic Studies Association, [n.d., 1884-1975]
63. Canadian drama (English), [n.d., 1950-1953]
64. Minorities - Legal status, laws, etc. - Canada, 1936, 1947-1953, 1969.
65. World War I - Veterans, 1936.
66. Contests - Canada, 1958.
67. Vancouver (B.C.) - Juvenile courts, 1936.
68. Authors, Japanese Canadian, [n.d., 1884-1975]
69. Ken Adachi - Authorship, [n.d., 1884-1975]
70. Oral history, [n.d., 1884-1975]
71. Juvenile courts - British Columbia, 1936.
72. World War II - Internment operations - Canada, [1942-1975]
73. Shinobu, Saburo,
74. Politics and government
76. Politique et gouvernement
77. Vimy Ridge, Battle of, France, 1917.
78. Vimy, Bataille de, 1917.
No de contrôle d'autres systèmes
No de contrôl reliés
- Date de modification :