Recherche de fonds d'archives
Pour formuler un commentaire, veuillez communiquer avec firstname.lastname@example.org
Description trouvée dans les archives
Fonds se compose de
Structure du classement
Lieu de création
Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
1 painting miniature.
677 prints reproductions.
2 photonegatives b&w.
Langue du document
Portée et contenu
Fonds documents the political career and personal life of Sir John Thompson. It also contains extensive family-related papers including correspondence between Thompson and his wife and children. Fonds consists of the following five series: Political papers; personal papers; family papers; additional papers; and family art. Volumes 1-300 are available on 55 reels of microfilm. The index is available on one reel. Fonds consists of a plan of a proposed canal at Jeddore, N.S., a plan of Halls Harbour in King's County, N.S., a county map of Prince Edward Island, a map focusing on land grants in New Brunswick, a map of Barrington, N.S. and a map of part of Antiogonish County, N.S.
Bobine de microfilm C-11061
Bobine de microfilm C-11061
de 1 à 3
The originals, Volumes 1-300, have been withdrawn from circulation. Researchers must use the microfilm. Volumes 314, 315 and 320 have also been withdrawn from circulation. Researchers are requested to use the copies available in vols 302 to 313 and 316.
Physical access to the artwork is through an art archivist.
Cartographic material: No restrictions. Credit Library and Archives Canada.
Instrument de recherche
Textual records The finding aid contains a microfilm conversion list which includes reel numbers, volume numbers, page numbers and dates. There is also a nominal list to Letters Received, volumes 1 to 224. In addition, there is a description of additional papers in volumes 300 to 319 including family papers, commissions, appointments, addresses and correspondence. MSS0156 90 (Électronique)
Textual records Finding aid 156 is available in electronic format for volumes 300 to 319. It includes item level descriptions for the commissions and addresses in volumes 300 and 302-315. MSS0156 90 (Électronique)
Textual records There are two card indexes located in the reference room which provide a detailed finding aid to the correspondence in the Thompson Papers. These are not available on microfilm. The first is a finding aid to Thompson's political correspondence (Letters received in 1855-1894, volumes 1-224) which consists of an index card for each letter indicating date, author, subject, and item number. The cards are arranged alphabetically by correspondent. The second is a similar card index for the rest of Thompson's political correspondence (volumes 225-274), his personal correspondence (volume 283), as well as Lady Thompson's correspondence (volumes 288-293), and that of their children (volumes 297-298). MSS0156 90 (Papier)
Textual records Finding Aid No. 156 is also available on microfilm reel C-11061. It does not include the card index in the Reference Room. MSS0156 90 (Microforme)
Cartographic materaial Please consult lower level descriptions. Finding aid consists of an itemized listing. Thompson, John Sparrow David 86703/22. 90 (Papier)
Créateur / Provenance
Biographie / Histoire administrative
The Rt. Hon. Sir John Sparrow David Thompson was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1844. He began studying law at the age of 15 and was admitted to the Nova Scotia bar in 1865. In 1877, Thompson was elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature and served as Attorney-General, 1878-1882 and Premier of the province from May to July 1882. In 1882, he was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia and occupied this position until 1885, when he was persuaded to enter Sir John A. Macdonald's cabinet. He served as Minister of Justice under Macdonald and Abbott as well as in his own ministry. Following the resignation of J.J.C. Abbott late in 1892, Thompson became Prime Minister. He served as Prime Minister for only 2 years. He died suddenly on 12 December 1894 at Windsor Castle, moments after he had been sworn in as a Member of the British Privy Council by Queen Victoria.
1. Prime Ministers - Canada - Family, 1868-1906
2. Lady Dewdney, 1888-1901.
3. Elections - Canada, 1879-1892
4. Lady Aberdeen, 1888-1901.
5. Canada - Constitutional law - Ammendments, 1879-1892
6. Lord Stanley, 1888-1901.
7. Fisheries - North Atlantic, 1879-1892
8. Robert Borden, 1888-1901.
9. Prime ministers - Canada - Spouses, 1873-1893
10. Sir Charles Tupper, 1894.
11. Prime ministers - Canada - Children, 1873-1893
12. Mackenzie Bowell, 1894.
13. Politicans - Biography, 1892
14. Dalhousie University. Faculty of Law, 1882-1884.
15. Judges - Canada, 1879-1884
16. Canada. Prime Minister, 1892-1894.
17. Law - Canada - Cases, 1879-1884
18. Edward Blake, [18-]
19. Legal instruments - Canada, 1862-1891
20. Toronto Press Club, 1895.
21. John Thompson - Oratory, 1882-1884
22. William Miller, 1895.
23. Lectures and lecturing - Nova Scotia, 1882-1884
24. Arthur Doughty, [1894-1916]
25. Consolation, 1894
26. Sir H.W. Just, [1894-1916]
27. Prime ministers - Canada - Death, 1894
28. Henry Ponsonby, [1894-1916]
29. Bering Sea controversy, 1879-1892.
30. Sealing - Bering Sea, 1879-1892.
31. Copyright, 1882-1889.
32. John Thompson - Diaries, 1865-1894.
33. Practice of law, 1862-1891.
34. Jesuit Estate Issue (Canada), 1888-1889.
35. Jesuits - Canada, 1888-1889.
36. Fishery law and legislation, 1873-1892.
37. Salmon fisheries, 1873-1892.
38. Oyster fisheries, 1873-1892.
39. Politics and government.
41. Lady Thompson Fund, 1894-1906.
No de contrôle d'autres systèmes
No de contrôl reliés
1. 1949-078 NPC
2. 1949-078 PIC
3. 1972-028 MED
4. 1997-184 DAP
- Date de modification :